How to calculate open rotor voltage?

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the voltage between two open rotor terminals of an induction motor connected to an AC power supply. The measured voltage was 102.6V, but there may be a way to calculate it instead. The potential voltage of 120V per phase on the stator and 60V per phase on the rotor is mentioned, along with questions about the applied voltage and whether it was 3-phase.
theone

Homework Statement

The AC power supply is connected to the stator terminals of the induction motor and the dynamometer. The rotor terminals are left open. The AC power supply is then turned on.
I need to find voltage between any two of the open rotor terminals.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I measured this as 102.6V but I'm not sure if I measured correctly. Is there a way for me to calculate it instead?

Attachments

• Untitled11.png
    Untitled11.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Untitled10.png
    Untitled10.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
There probably is. Have you done much electromagnetic induction before?

theone said:
The AC power supply is connected to the stator terminals of the induction motor and the dynamometer. The rotor terminals are left open. The AC power supply is then turned on.
I need to find voltage between any two of the open rotor terminals.

I measured this as 102.6V but I'm not sure if I measured correctly. Is there a way for me to calculate it instead?
The figures on the connector plate should be a clue to this. I'm having diffcuty reading it---does it show 120V per phase on the stator and 60V per phase on the rotor?

You applied what voltage, and was this 3ɸ?

Between what points did you measure the 102V?

1. What is open rotor voltage?

Open rotor voltage is the voltage generated by a rotating machine or motor when there is no load connected to it. It is also called as no-load voltage or terminal voltage.

2. Why is it important to calculate open rotor voltage?

Calculating open rotor voltage helps in determining the health of the motor and identifying any potential issues. It also helps in estimating the expected voltage output of the motor under different load conditions.

3. How is open rotor voltage calculated?

Open rotor voltage can be calculated by using the formula V = KφN, where V is the voltage, K is a constant, φ is the flux, and N is the rotational speed of the rotor.

4. What factors affect open rotor voltage?

The main factors that affect open rotor voltage are the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the rotor, and the number of conductors in the rotor. Other factors such as temperature, air gap, and supply voltage can also have an impact.

5. Is there a standard for open rotor voltage?

Yes, there are standards set by organizations such as the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) for open rotor voltage. These standards ensure that the voltage output of motors is within a safe and acceptable range.