How to calculate output of a motor used as a generator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
phatlosz
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know how to figure out how to calculate a motor's output when used as a generator based on the manufacturer's specs for its operation?

ie. Small, but powerful DC motor. 0.40" x 0.32" x 0.66" long. Operates on 1.5 - 3.6 Vdc. 110mA @ 3Vdc, no load. 500mA with load.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-299/1.5-3.6-VDC-MOTOR/1.html"

I'm trying to figure out what various motors are capable of without having to buy all of them.

Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Did I post this in the right forum, or should I have posted it in another category?
 
Could I assume that if it the motor were spinning 100 RPM and consumed 1.5 Volts, that it would produce 1.5 Volts if I were spinning it at manually at 100 RPM?

Thanks.
 
phatlosz said:
Could I assume that if it the motor were spinning 100 RPM and consumed 1.5 Volts, that it would produce 1.5 Volts if I were spinning it at manually at 100 RPM?

Thanks.

Yes. Assuming it is a permanent magnet motor, which yours appears to be.

And yes, I believe this is the correct forum to post this type question.