How to Calculate Shear Stress in a Wooden Block?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
NinjaGodel
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


shear.jpg



Homework Equations



[itex]\sigma[/itex] = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I understand that I should evaluate the different forms of stress to find different values of the ultimate load. I also understand that I should choose the smallest value among them since anything greater than the smallest value will cause failure.

I know how to calculate the normal stress in the block and the shear stress in the steel.
I don't understand where shear stress occurs in the block and thus how to calculate it.

shear2.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
NinjaGodel: Shear stress occurs uniformly on the two planes represented by the dashed lines. This is often referred to as "shear tear-out." Give it a try.

Also, hint 1: Should Pu for tau_steel be two times what you currently computed?
 
nvn said:
NinjaGodel: Shear stress occurs uniformly on the two planes represented by the dashed lines. This is often referred to as "shear tear-out." Give it a try.

Also, hint 1: Should Pu for tau_steel be two times what you currently computed?

Ah yes it should be because it's in double shear

I knew that:redface:

So the double shear force on the block would go across this shaded surface area:
shear3.jpg

Plus the inner face of the left block I drew

Right?
Thanks for your help by the way
 
Last edited:
NinjaGodel: That is correct. And your answer looks correct. Excellent work.