How to calculate the acceleration of a longitudinal wave (seismics)

In summary: This conversation pertains to a master's research project in geology and geophysics involving a small scale seismic acquisition system consisting of accelerometers, a magnetostrictive vibrator, and a digital acquisition card.
shmolky
My question is - is it appropriate to calculate the acceleration of a wave passing through an accelerometer as a=Aw2sin(wt). I've assumed my maximum amplitude, A (in meters) is no more than that created by my vibrating device (or at least at that order of magnitude, 10um). I basically created a spreadsheet in excel that uses the wave equation where I've calculated w for 1kHz and used times from about 0 to .001 seconds (one period). Is it safe to assume 'a' is in m/s2? so that I can divide 'a' by 9.8 and have 'a' in terms of g's? The absolutely magnitude of the numbers (again assuming m/s2) vary from about 0 to about 400.

This is part of some master's research I'm doing in geology and geophysics, I've built a small scale seismic acquisition system that uses accelerometers, a magnetostrictive vibrator, and a digital acquisition card to output signals to the vibrator and input them to the accelerometers (I'm oversimplifying here for brevity).

I'd like to have a ballpark value for expected voltages received on the accelerometers and thus need to know the acceleration the accelerometers will feel.

If anyone has feedback on whether or not it's appropriate to consider the magnitude of the vibrators vibrations as the amplitude going through my media that would be very helpful as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is appropriate to calculate the acceleration of a wave passing through an accelerometer as a=Aw2sin(wt). However, it is important to note that the units of 'a' must be in m/s2 in order to properly divide 'a' by 9.8 and have 'a' in terms of g's. Additionally, it is safe to assume that the maximum amplitude, A (in meters) is no more than that created by your vibrating device. Regarding the expected voltages received on the accelerometers, it is difficult to provide a ballpark value without additional information such as the type of accelerometer being used and the type of media the wave is travelling through. It is also important to consider whether or not the magnitude of the vibrator's vibrations is sufficient to be considered as the amplitude going through the media in question.

1. What is a longitudinal wave?

A longitudinal wave is a type of mechanical wave that causes particles in a medium to move in the same direction as the wave itself. This type of wave is characterized by areas of compression and rarefaction, where particles are pushed together and pulled apart, respectively.

2. How do I calculate the wavelength of a longitudinal wave?

The wavelength of a longitudinal wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. In other words, wavelength = speed / frequency. The speed of a longitudinal wave can be determined by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, while the frequency can be measured using a frequency meter.

3. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a longitudinal wave?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a longitudinal wave is acceleration = (wave speed)^2 * wavelength. This formula takes into account the relationship between wave speed, wavelength, and acceleration, and can be used to determine the acceleration of a longitudinal wave in a given medium.

4. Can the acceleration of a longitudinal wave change?

Yes, the acceleration of a longitudinal wave can change depending on the properties of the medium it is traveling through. For example, if the medium becomes more dense, the wave will slow down and its acceleration will decrease. Conversely, if the medium becomes less dense, the wave will speed up and its acceleration will increase.

5. How is the acceleration of a longitudinal wave related to its amplitude?

The acceleration of a longitudinal wave is directly proportional to its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude of the wave increases, its acceleration will also increase. This relationship can be seen in the formula for acceleration, where the wave's amplitude is represented by the square of the wave speed.