How to calculate the groundness

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
In summary: Just set your volt meter to measure ac rms volts and connect it between ground and neutral wire at the distribution panel.You might want to get electrician to do the measurement if you are uncomfortable with the getting into the panels however.
pixel01
Dear all,

I am going to install an instrument. As usual, it needs ground wire and I have it installed.
However in the specs they require that the groundness is <0.5V/ms. I really do not understand that unit and how do they measure the goundness.

Thanks for any ideas.

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
pixel01 said:
Dear all,

I am going to install an instrument. As usual, it needs ground wire and I have it installed.
However in the specs they require that the groundness is <0.5V/ms. I really do not understand that unit and how do they measure the goundness.

Thanks for any ideas.

Regards

Yeah, that's a new word for me as well. Maybe related to some GFCI spec, since there's a time component to the spec. Can you post a link to the product and datasheet?

berkeman said:
Yeah, that's a new word for me as well. Maybe related to some GFCI spec, since there's a time component to the spec. Can you post a link to the product and datasheet?

Sorry for the late reply. Our lab is going to install an ICP instrument and the customer engineer asks us to prepare some conditions for the installation. About the electricity he wrote: "All the powerlines must have groundness (Ground to Neutral <0.5V ms)"

Sounds like it's just a language translation thing. Thanks for the clarification, pixel.

Don't you mean <0.5 volt rms? Root Mean Square voltage value of AC on the neutral?

dlgoff said:
Don't you mean <0.5 volt rms? Root Mean Square voltage value of AC on the neutral?

Oh, thank you. That's correct, the fax is dim and the 'r' is almost gone.
Anyway, how can I check the 'gound to neutral' smaller than 0.5V ?

pixel01 said:
Oh, thank you. That's correct, the fax is dim and the 'r' is almost gone.
Anyway, how can I check the 'gound to neutral' smaller than 0.5V ?
Just set your volt meter to measure ac rms volts and connect it between ground and neutral wire at the distribution panel.
You might want to get electrician to do the measurement if you are uncomfortable with the getting into the panels however. Safety first.

Edit: On second thought, maybe the measurement should be made at the instrument location. Maybe someone else here knows where the appropriate place to make it.

Last edited:

Related to How to calculate the groundness

1. How do I calculate the groundness of an object?

The groundness of an object can be calculated by determining the ratio of its base area to its height. This can be done by dividing the base area (length x width) by the height of the object. The resulting value is the groundness of the object.

2. What is the purpose of calculating groundness?

The groundness of an object is a measure of its stability and balance. It can help determine the likelihood of an object tipping over or falling and is important in engineering and architecture to ensure the safety of structures.

3. What units are used to measure groundness?

The unit of measurement for groundness is typically meters (m) or feet (ft). However, the unit can vary depending on the unit of measurement used for the base area and height of the object.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its groundness?

The shape of an object can greatly impact its groundness. Objects with a wider base area and lower center of gravity, such as a pyramid, will have a higher groundness compared to objects with a smaller base area and higher center of gravity, such as a cone.

5. Can the groundness of an object change?

Yes, the groundness of an object can change if its base area or height is altered. For example, if a rectangular object is turned on its side, its groundness will change as the base area and height are now different. The groundness can also change if the object is placed on an inclined surface.