How to Calculate the Integral of 2/(sqrt(1-t^2)) dt?

In summary: The integral of 2 is 2\theta and the upper and lower limit are \pi/3 and \pi/4 so the integral is2(\pi/3- \pi/4)= 2pi/12= pi/6You missed the 2 when you did the integral.The integral of (pi/3)-(pi/4) would be pi/12.That is not correct. First, the integral of a constant is that constant times the variable. If the integral were of x, the integral would be (1/2)x^2 (ignoring the constant of integration). Since the integral is of a constant, the integral is the constant times the variable: the integral of 2 is (
jpd5184

Homework Statement

integral of (2/(sqrt.(1-t^2))dt evaluated at sqrt.3 / 2 and root 2 / 2.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

i believe its just substition.

u=t^3
du=3t^2
1/3 du = t^2

then you get 2/3(1/sqrt(1-u^2))dt

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jpd5184! :smile:

(have a a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

i don't understand how you got 2/3(1/sqrt(1-u^2)) from (2/(sqrt.(1-t^2))dt :confused:

lets see:

from the original equation:
u= t^3
du= 3t^2
(1/3)du=t^2

ok so i messed up. i accidently substituted u in for t^2 but u=t^3.

first i have to make sure my substitution values above are right and if using substitution is the right method for solving the problem. is it?

jpd5184 said:
first i have to make sure … if using substitution is the right method for solving the problem. is it?

substitution is the right way to do it,

but i doubt that u = t2 or t3 is going to help …

try getting it right, and see :smile:

Is this the integral?
[tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}/2}^{\sqrt{3}/2}\frac{2 dt}{\sqrt{1 - t^2}}[/tex]

It might be that you can do this one with an ordinary substitution, but this one is a natural for a trig substitution, with t = sin(u), dt = cos(u)du.

BTW, in your substitution, you had u = t3, du = 3t2. You omitted the dt. Omitting this will definitely cause problems in some substitutions, particularly trig substitutions.

Mark44 said:
Is this the integral?
[tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}/2}^{\sqrt{3}/2}\frac{2 dt}{\sqrt{1 - t^2}}[/tex]

It might be that you can do this one with an ordinary substitution, but this one is a natural for a trig substitution, with t = sin(u), dt = cos(u)du.

BTW, in your substitution, you had u = t3, du = 3t2. You omitted the dt. Omitting this will definitely cause problems in some substitutions, particularly trig substitutions.

that is correct, so what i have to do is use trig substitution. ill give it a try.

lets see:

u= arcsin
du= 1/(sqrt(1-t^2)) dt

i could then take the 2 outside the integral sign and get 2(integral of arcsin)

jpd5184 said:

Homework Statement

integral of (2/(sqrt.(1-t^2))dt evaluated at sqrt.3 / 2 and root 2 / 2.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

i believe its just substition.

u=t^3
du=3t^2
No, du= 3t^2 dt

1/3 du = t^2
No, 1/3 du= t^2 dt and since there is no "t^2" in the numerator, you can only replace dt with 1/3 du/t^2- and you have to replace that t^2 by a function of u.

then you get 2/3(1/sqrt(1-u^2))dt[/QUOTE]
No, you don't. All you have done is put 1/3 in front and replace "t" with u.
If u= t^3, then t= u^{1/3} and t^2= u^{2/3} sqrt{1- t^2} would become sqrt{1- u^{2/3}}. Also the dt= du/t^2 becomes du/u^{2/3}. With that substitution, the integral becomes
[tex]\int \frac{du}{u^{2/3}\sqrt{1- u^{2/3}}}[/tex]
I don't think that is an improvement!

Substitution is right but much better is the substitution [itex]t= sin(\theta)[/itex]. That way, [itex]\sqrt{1- t^2}= \sqrt{1- sin^2(\theta)}= \sqrt{cos^2(\theta)}= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]dt= cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex]. Also, you should change the limits of integration from t to [itex]\theta[/itex]. The upper limit is [itex]t= \sart{3}/2= sin(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]\theta= \pi/3[/itex]. The lower limit is [itex]t= \sqrt{2}/2= sin(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex].

That way, the integral is
[tex]\int_{\pi/4}^{\p/3} \frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{cos(\theta)}= \int d\theta[/tex]
which is very easy!

[tex]\int_{\pi/4}^{\p/3} \frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{cos(\theta)}= \int d\theta[/tex]
which is very easy![/QUOTE]

so does that mean the integral of (pi/3)-(pi/4)
just the upper limit minus the lower limit

Fixed the upper limit of integration.
jpd5184 said:
[tex]\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/3} \frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{cos(\theta)}= \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/3} d\theta[/tex]
which is very easy!

so does that mean the integral of (pi/3)-(pi/4)
just the upper limit minus the lower limit[/QUOTE]
Yes.

so it would be pi/3 - pi/4
this would be 4pi/12 - 3pi/12
which would be pi/12 for the answer

since its a integral would it be pi/12 + c

This is a definite integral. The answer is a specific number. For indefinite integrals, you add the constant, but not for definite integrals.

pi/12 isn't giving me the right answer

There is a factor of 2 that got lost along the way. The integral should be
[tex]\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/3} \frac{2cos(\theta)d\theta}{cos(\theta)}= \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/3} 2d\theta[/tex]

Related to How to Calculate the Integral of 2/(sqrt(1-t^2)) dt?

1. What is substitution in math?

Substitution in math refers to the process of replacing a variable in an equation with a specific value or expression. This allows us to solve for the value of the equation using the given substitution.

2. When do we use substitution in math?

Substitution is typically used in algebra to simplify complex equations and solve for unknown values. It is also used in calculus to find the derivative of a function.

3. How do I know when to use substitution in a problem?

If you encounter an equation with multiple variables and one of the variables is isolated on one side, substitution may be a useful method to solve for the remaining variable. Additionally, if the equation involves fractions or decimals, substitution may help to simplify the problem.

4. What are the steps for solving a problem using substitution?

The first step is to identify the variable that is isolated in the equation. Then, choose a value or expression to substitute in for the variable. Next, plug in the substitution and simplify the resulting equation. Finally, solve for the remaining variable to find the solution.

5. Can substitution be used in all math problems?

No, substitution is a specific method that is used in certain types of problems. It is not always the most efficient or effective method, so it is important to consider other problem-solving strategies as well.