How to Calculate the Restraining Force of Intersecting Bands?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter La82
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
La82
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi Everyone,

Let say I know the force/cm versus elongation relationship for a flat band, and I combine this with the same type band in the perpendicular reaction (crossing each other). If I apply a point force in the middle of the intersection between the two points how do I calculate how much the bands could withstand?

I have calculated the tension in one band as it corresponds to an angular change due to a constant force, but am having trouble relating the two things to each other.

Hope someone can help me see the light!

Lonnie
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let the horizontal and vertical displacements of the junction be u and v. Calculate the changes in length of the two bands. The force in each band will be oriented in the direction of that band (in the deformed geometry). Resolve each force into its horizontal and vertical components. Then sum the components to get the net force on the junction.