How to Calculate Time Required for 11 Light Years @ 0.9c

• Thread starter doc.madani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the time it would take for a spacecraft traveling at 0.9c to reach a planet that is 11 light years away. The formula for time = distance / speed is mentioned and the importance of using the correct frame of reference is emphasized.
doc.madani
You are in a spacecraft that is traveling at 0.9c (according to the passenger), and you want to get to a planet that is 11 light years away. How long will it take to get to the planet ?

This may seem like a simple problem but it's been bugging me. I answered this question by using the simple time = distance / speed since the person is in the same frame of reference as the space craft, is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi doc.madani! :smile:
doc.madani said:
You are in a spacecraft that is traveling at 0.9c (according to the passenger), and you want to get to a planet that is 11 light years away. How long will it take to get to the planet ?

The question isn't clear …

according to the passenger, the speed of the spacecraft is zero. :confused:

I'll guess it means, if the speed and distance as measured by a stationary observer are 09.c and 11 l-y, then how long on the passenger's clock does it take?

I was just quoting the exact question that I was given In a test :s however since the passenger is in the same frame of reference (inertial frame if reference) to the spacecraft you can simply use the time = distance over speed formula ?

Last edited:
Yes, but if he got the 11 light-years from a standard Galactic Maritime Federation astro-chart (sorry, I don't have a link :redface:), that'll be the distance in a stationary frame, and you need the distance in his frame. :wink:

Ok for arguments sake let's say it was 11 light years in his frame of reference :) your starting to scare me that there's more to the question than I anticipated :s lol that's ok

doc.madani said:
Ok for arguments sake let's say it was 11 light years in his frame of reference :) your starting to scare me that there's more to the question than I anticipated :s lol that's ok

If it was 11 light years in his frame of reference, then yes, he can divide by the speed to get the time on his clock. :smile:

ohh :) good thank you very much tiny-tim for your help :D

1. How do you calculate the time required for 11 light years at 0.9c?

To calculate the time required, you can use the formula t = d/v, where t is the time, d is the distance (11 light years in this case), and v is the velocity (0.9 times the speed of light). Plugging in the values, we get t = 11/0.9c, which is approximately 12.22 years.

2. What is 0.9c in terms of miles per hour?

0.9c is approximately 1.08 billion miles per hour. The speed of light is approximately 186,282 miles per second, so 0.9c is 0.9 x 186,282 x 3600 = 6.37 x 10^8 miles per hour.

3. How long would it take to travel 11 light years at 0.9c in Earth time?

In Earth time, it would take approximately 12.22 years. This is because time is relative and depends on the observer's reference frame. For someone traveling at 0.9c, the time would seem shorter due to time dilation.

4. Can you explain the concept of time dilation in this scenario?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, where time appears to run slower for an observer in motion relative to another observer. In this scenario, an observer traveling at 0.9c would experience time dilation, meaning that their perceived time would be shorter than the time experienced by someone observing from a stationary reference frame on Earth.

5. What are the implications of traveling at 0.9c for 11 light years?

The implications of traveling at 0.9c for 11 light years would be significant. Due to time dilation, the trip would only take 12.22 years for the travelers, while approximately 11,000 years would have passed on Earth. Additionally, the energy required to travel at such high speeds would be immense, making it currently impossible with our current technology.