How to Calculate Velocity with Given Acceleration and Position Using Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding velocity given an equation and acceleration of -9.8 m/s2. The equations of motion are referenced and it is emphasized that initial conditions (position and velocity) are needed for accurate calculations. It is also noted that it is important to use the correct signs for the coordinate system being used.
Phys_Boi
If i have an equation: h = ½at2
And:
40 = -4.9t2 → 0 = -4.9t2 - 40

If: v = ∫a

then how do i find the velocity given acceleration of -9.8 m/s2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phys_Boi said:
If i have an equation: h = ½at2
And:
40 = -4.9t2 → 0 = -4.9t2 - 40

If: v = ∫a

then how do i find the velocity given acceleration of -9.8 m/s2?
You are missing some constants in those equations. Are you familiar with the full equations of motion given a constant acceleration a?

v(t) = ?
x(t) = ?

berkeman said:
You are missing some constants in those equations. Are you familiar with the full equations of motion given a constant acceleration a?

v(t) = ?
x(t) = ?
Well I am only a Sophomore and haven't had either Calculus nor Physics..
However, v(t) is what i need to know.
What is x(t)?

Phys_Boi said:
Well I am only a Sophomore and haven't had either Calculus nor Physics..
However, v(t) is what i need to know.
What is x(t)?
x(t) is the linear distance travelled. It looks like you are wanting z(t) or h(t) height, but it doesn't matter, you still use the same equations.

See this Hyperphysics page for example:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#motcon

It lists the equations for v(t) and x(t) or h(t). Although, they have left off one term -- there should be an x(0) term on the righthand side of the equation for x(t).

Does that help?

berkeman said:
x(t) is the linear distance travelled. It looks like you are wanting z(t) or h(t) height, but it doesn't matter, you still use the same equations.

See this Hyperphysics page for example:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#motcon

It lists the equations for v(t) and x(t) or h(t). Although, they have left off one term -- there should be an x(0) term on the righthand side of the equation for x(t).

Does that help?
Thanks,

So how do i find the velocity at a given time? Do I need all of those variables?
If height is 40:
40=0.5(9.8)(t^2) ... We can solve this for time, however, how do I find the velocity?
Sorry, if I'm missing something that's obvious.

So does v = at?

Phys_Boi said:
Thanks,

So how do i find the velocity at a given time? Do I need all of those variables?
If height is 40:
40=0.5(9.8)(t^2) ... We can solve this for time, however, how do I find the velocity?
Sorry, if I'm missing something that's obvious.

So does v = at?

Your problem statement is still not clear to me. We need to know the initial conditions h(0), v(0) in order to do any calculations. To summarize, you will use equations like these (I'm going to use y(t) for the height);

[tex]v(t) = v(0) + a*t[/tex]

[tex]y(t) = y(0) + v(0)*t + \frac{1}{2}a*t^2[/tex]

berkeman said:
Your problem statement is still not clear to me. We need to know the initial conditions h(0), v(0) in order to do any calculations. To summarize, you will use equations like these (I'm going to use y(t) for the height);

[tex]v(t) = v(0) + a*t[/tex]

[tex]y(t) = y(0) + v(0)*t + \frac{1}{2}a*t^2[/tex]

Okay... Thank you!

Sorry for the ignorant questions.

Your welcome. They are not ignorant questions -- you are learning. :smile:

BTW, it's important that you get the signs right for whatever coordinate system you define. So if y(t) is positive up, then the acceleration in the y direction is -9.8m/s^2 as you have already said. The initial position and velocity will have signs as well in the general problems.

berkeman said:
BTW, it's important that you get the signs right for whatever coordinate system you define. So if y(t) is positive up, then the acceleration in the y direction is -9.8m/s^2 as you have already said. The initial position and velocity will have signs as well in the general problems.
Okay! Thank you!

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

Why is it important to integrate velocity?

Integrating velocity allows us to determine an object's position over a certain time period. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to track the movement of objects.

What is the formula for integrating velocity?

The formula for integrating velocity is ∫v(t)dt = x(t) + C, where v(t) is the velocity function, x(t) is the position function, and C is the constant of integration.

What are the steps for integrating velocity?

The steps for integrating velocity are as follows: 1) Determine the velocity function, 2) Rewrite the velocity function in terms of t, 3) Integrate the velocity function with respect to t, 4) Add the constant of integration, and 5) Substitute known values to solve for the constant of integration.

What are some real-life applications of integrating velocity?

Integrating velocity has many real-life applications, such as determining the distance traveled by a moving object, calculating the amount of work done by a force, and predicting the future position of an object based on its current velocity.