How long until she passes you?

In summary: Meanwhile, the OP has started another thread on a similar topic. So I don't know. I'm thinking the OP has essentially abandoned this thread.In summary, this conversation involves solving a kinematics problem involving a car with constant acceleration and a police officer with a delayed start. The relevant equations are the kinematic equations and the integration of velocity with respect to time. The OP's solution did not account for the 2 second delay and may not be accurate.
Mohamed Drahaman

Homework Statement

You leave a spotlight with an acceleration of 4.9m/s2[fwd] until reaching a speed of 49m/s. A police officer took off from the same intersection 2sec after. She accelerates at 9.8m/s2. How long after this does she pass you? How fast is she going at this time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4.9t2 = 9.8 x (t-2)2

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to show more of your attempt and describe what you are trying to do there. What does your equation represent?

What type of equations are relevant to the problem? Can you list them?

Likes victorhugo
gneill said:
You'll need to show more of your attempt and describe what you are trying to do there. What does your equation represent?

What type of equations are relevant to the problem? Can you list them?
Silly question: Does this require calculus and did he write his equations in calculus?

I haven't done calculus yet..

No calculus required. Just basic kinematic equations. The OP might have made things more clear if he'd availed himself of the x2 icon in the edit panel to create superscripts. It's can be hard to tell sometimes if a '2' is meant to be a constant multiplying something or an exponent. :smile:

gneill said:
No calculus required. Just basic kinematic equations. The OP might have made things more clear if he'd availed himself of the x2 icon in the edit panel to create superscripts. It's can be hard to tell sometimes if a '2' is meant to be a constant multiplying something or an exponent. :smile:
Okay, let me attempt it:

at a = 4.9 m/s /s there is a constant acceleration in the + direction until v = 49 m/s
a = m/s /s & v=m/s
a=Δv/t
Thus cancel to get time =
10 s

r = ut + 1/2a t^2
r = 1/2 a t^2 = 245m

( i completely forgot about taking off 2s after)

at t = 2 we can find velocity and distance, but from here i do have a clue how we can find t for when r1 = r2
(if this is how i should do it)

Last edited:
In your work you didn't account for the 2 second delay before the cop started to accelerate. Also, if it does take the cop 50 seconds to reach the car, the car will have long ago entered its constant cruise speed phase of its motion. That would complicate things...

victorhugo said:
1. is there another way to solve using simpler maths
2. can you give me a logical explanation to how that formula works? e.g I understand velocity and acceleration because of the definitions, so I can intuitively solve for each.
1. Not really. Unless you're not interested in great accuracy, then you might do it graphically. The area under a velocity versus time graph is distance.
2. Given that v = at, just integrate with respect to t. The integration constant is the initial velocity.

Mohamed Drahaman said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

4.9t2 = 9.8 x (t-2)2
This would be correct if the police officer caught up with you in under 10 sec. Check this possibility by solving the equation for t to see if that is actually the case.

gneill said:
In your work you didn't account for the 2 second delay before the cop started to accelerate.

I completely forgot, mb. Also, I edited the question instead of replying. Exausted brain doesn't work very well...
Anyway, my edit was:Okay, let me attempt it:

at a = 4.9 m/s /s there is a constant acceleration in the + direction until v = 49 m/s
a = m/s /s & v=m/s
a=Δv/t
Thus cancel to get time =
10 s

r = ut + 1/2a t^2
r = 1/2 a t^2 = 245m

( i completely forgot about taking off 2s after)

at t = 2 we can find velocity and distance, but from here i do have a clue how we can find t for when r1 = r2
(if this is how i should do it)

Shouldn't we give the OP a chance to respond?

Chestermiller said:
I want to play too (:

Chestermiller said:
You're probably right. But then again, the OP made the one post to start this thread three days ago and hasn't resurfaced.

Likes victorhugo

Related to How long until she passes you?

1. How is "she" defined in this scenario?

In this context, "she" refers to a moving object or individual that is currently behind you, but will eventually pass you. It could be a person, a vehicle, or any other object.

2. What factors affect the speed at which "she" will pass me?

The speed at which "she" will pass you depends on several factors, including her initial speed, your initial speed, the distance between you and her, and any changes in speed that either of you make.

3. Can you predict exactly when "she" will pass me?

No, it is not possible to predict the exact moment when "she" will pass you. This is because small changes in speed or distance can greatly affect the time it takes for "she" to pass you.

4. Why is it important to know how long until "she" passes me?

Knowing how long until "she" passes you can help you plan your actions accordingly. For example, if you are a driver and know that a faster car will pass you in a few minutes, you can adjust your speed to avoid any potential danger or inconvenience.

5. Is there a formula to calculate how long until "she" passes me?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to calculate the time it takes for "she" to pass you. One of the most commonly used formulas is the time-distance formula, which takes into account the initial speeds and distances of both objects. However, these formulas may not always provide an accurate prediction due to external factors such as changes in speed or direction.