How to Complete the Inductive Step in a Series Inequality Proof?

• Thread starter sbc824
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: You are assuming that some k, 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ 1/k2 ≤ 2 - (1/k) .Adding 1/(k+1)2 to both sides gives you that 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ 1/k2 + 1/(k+1)2 ≤ 2 - (1/k) +1/(k+1)2 .Therefore, if you can show that 2 - (1/k) +1/(k+1)2 ≤ 2 - 1/(k+1), then you should be able to complete the proof.
sbc824

Homework Statement

i=1 Sigma n (1/i2) <= 2 - (1/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the basic step and assumption step...little stuck on the inductive step

So far I have...

show 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ (1/k2) + (1/(k+1)2) <= 2 - (1/k+1)

Physics news on Phys.org
sbc824 said:

Homework Statement

i=1 Sigma n (1/i2) <= 2 - (1/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the basic step and assumption step...little stuck on the inductive step

So far I have...

show 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ (1/k2) + (1/(k+1)2) <= 2 - (1/k+1)
To clarify matters:

I take it that you need to prove (by induction) that:
[itex]\displaystyle
\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{i^2}\le2-\frac{1}{n}\ .[/itex]​

Is that correct?

So, you have assumed that 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ (1/k2) ≤ 2 - (1/k) ,

and you need to show that 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ (1/k2) + (1/(k+1)2) ≤ 2 - (1/(k+1)) .

Is that correct?

What have you tried, in this effort?

BTW: Please learn to use parentheses, so that your mathematical expressions say what you mean for them to say.

SammyS said:
To clarify matters:

I take it that you need to prove (by induction) that:
[itex]\displaystyle
\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{i^2}\le2-\frac{1}{n}\ .[/itex]​

Is that correct?

So, you have assumed that 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ (1/k2) ≤ 2 - (1/k) ,

and you need to show that 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ (1/k2) + (1/(k+1)2) ≤ 2 - (1/(k+1)) .

Is that correct?

What have you tried, in this effort?

BTW: Please learn to use parentheses, so that your mathematical expressions say what you mean for them to say.

Yes, that is correct...I've done equality inductive proofs, but have not encountered less than or greater than type proofs...so I'm not sure how to begin.

The idea is almost exactly the same as equality. Starting from where you left off you have [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{i^2} + \frac{1}{n+1}[/itex]≤ 2- [itex] \frac{1}{n+1}[/itex]
See what happens if you combine like terms and use what you already know about [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{i^2}[/itex] to help you out.

sbc824 said:
Yes, that is correct...I've done equality inductive proofs, but have not encountered less than or greater than type proofs...so I'm not sure how to begin.
Let's see:

You are assuming that some k,
1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ 1/k2 ≤ 2 - (1/k) .​

Adding 1/(k+1)2 to both sides gives you that
1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 +...+ 1/k2 + 1/(k+1)2 ≤ 2 - (1/k) +1/(k+1)2 .​

So, if you can show that 2 - (1/k) +1/(k+1)2 ≤ 2 - 1/(k+1), then you should be able to complete the proof.

Related to How to Complete the Inductive Step in a Series Inequality Proof?

1. What is an inductive proof?

An inductive proof is a type of mathematical proof that uses patterns or observations to prove a statement for all possible cases.

2. How is an inductive proof different from a deductive proof?

In a deductive proof, a conclusion is drawn from given premises using logical reasoning. In an inductive proof, a conclusion is drawn from a specific case or observation and then generalized to all cases.

3. Why is the last step of an inductive proof important?

The last step of an inductive proof is important because it is the final step in proving that a statement holds for all possible cases. It shows that the pattern or observation holds true for the last case, which can then be generalized to all cases.

4. How can I make sure my last step in an inductive proof is correct?

To ensure the last step of an inductive proof is correct, it is important to carefully examine the pattern or observation and make sure it holds true for the last case. It can also be helpful to use mathematical notation and logic to clearly and accurately state the last step.

5. Can an inductive proof be used to prove all mathematical statements?

No, an inductive proof can only be used to prove statements that follow a clear pattern or have been observed to hold true for all cases. It cannot be used to prove statements that do not have a predictable pattern or that are based on random data.