Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to compute the number of loops in a Feynman diagram?

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1
    In doing my [tex]\phi^{3}[/tex] theory I didn't know exactly how to count the number of loops in a diagram given the number of vertices, internal and external lines. Is there a general algorithm in doing this? What if we have more than one interaction vertex (e.g. the Standard Model)?

PS. What does it mean when it says my thread has been "moved"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means an administrator thought that it better belonged to another subforum. If you talk about the "physical mass" thread, I'd like to know why it was moved, because I don't think it is really a college-level question !

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Jun 22, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's nonphysical [itex]\lambda \phi^{3} [/itex].The vertex (the OPI Green function of 4 points in the first order of perturbation theory) is made up of 3 scalar bosons.Self interaction doesn't mean creating/annihilating particles (that means there's no emission,nor absorption of particles),but only pure scattering (identical particles scattering one off another).

Read Zee's [1] argument against this theory and others involving other powers in [itex] \phi [/itex].

Daniel.

---------------------------------------------------
    [1] A.Zee,"Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell",PUP,2003.

5. Jun 22, 2005 #4
    Do you mean my thread was moved because [itex]\lambda \phi^{3} [/itex] is not a physical theory? :smile:

6. Jun 22, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,no,you had put in the wrong forum.It's Quantum Physics related and it should have been posted here.:smile: General Physics is not for such specific problems.

Daniel.

7. Jun 23, 2005 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Dexter is this a general rule that QFT math questions go in quantum mechanics? Why not particles?

8. Jun 23, 2005 #7
    Under the "Quantum Physics" forum link it says "Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory" - that's why I posted my questions here.

Anyone who knows some QFT would know that these questions do form the bulk of the QFT experience. Renormalization, for instance, is all about the technicalities - how many loops, how to get rid of the large logs, what subtraction scheme to use, etc. Feynman diagram computation itself involves lots of machinery too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?