Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to create quantum entangled electrons

1. Nov 12, 2016 #1
    I understand that one way of creating quantum entangled electrons is by splitting a Cooper pair. Is then their spin property used in the measurement, as this must always sum to ##0## for a Cooper pair?
    If that is the case, do quantum entangled electrons only exist in the singlet state, where the spin is always opposite to one another?
    $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\left|01\right> \pm \left|10 \right>)$$

Are there other methods of creating quantum entangled electrons?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2016 #2

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Any atom (except for hydrogen atoms) is surrounded by several entangled electrons.

4. Nov 12, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It seems to me you may be getting the terminology mixed up here.

The singlet state is ##|0 \ 0\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (\uparrow \downarrow - \downarrow \uparrow)##.

The triplet is a combination of 3 states, so called because they share a common value for total spin:

##|1 \ 1\rangle =\ \uparrow \uparrow##
    ##|1 \ 0\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (\uparrow \downarrow + \downarrow \uparrow)##
    ##|1 \ -\!1\rangle =\ \downarrow \downarrow##

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  5. Nov 12, 2016 #4

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Where are you getting that notation from? In quantum information the singlet state is ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |01\rangle - |10\rangle \right)##. Certainly not ##|00\rangle##. That's the "both qubits are in the off state" state.

6. Nov 12, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thought we were talking about electrons and that that notation was fairly standard.

7. Nov 12, 2016 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

Yes there is another way. Two entangled photons can interact with two electorns and swap the entanglement to the electrons. I haven't got the details to hand but I'll search.

8. Nov 12, 2016 #7

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

I believe that @PeroK is using a convention in which the spin state of the individual particles is represented with up and down arrows, and a ket containing two numbers is the state with total spin given by the first number and projection of the total spin by the second. That's not the convention being used elsewhere in this thread, and I don't know how common it is, but I'm pretty sure it was the one used back when I learned about quantum spin.

9. Nov 12, 2016 #8
    Entangled electrons don't only exist in the singlet state. They can also have, for instance, positively correlated spins.

There are a number of methods of creating entangled electrons and particles. Unfortunately I don't know what they are, ask an experimenter. For photons, there's parametric downconversion, SPS cascades, annihilation of spin-zero particle states into two gamma rays, etc.

Finally, I'm supposing you mean to "create" the pair in the lab for entanglement experiments. In "the wild" they exist everywhere. As @A. Neumaier says, they exist in an atom. For instance whenever an orbit has two electrons they must have opposite spins. Generally whenever two particles interact in any way they become entangled (maybe there are exceptions). For instance if they scatter off each other, the sum of their outgoing momenta must equal sum of ingoing momenta - they're entangled.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted