Delete Threads & Posts: New User Guide

• Thread starter Baela
  • Start date
In summary: This post has been deleted due to violation of PF rules" ...instead of the post being there and clearly marked as deleted. If you are so worried about the data, then use the Report button. It's not that hard to do. If you want to delete posts, then don't post them until you are sure you want to post them. I've never seen a forum where the posters have the power to delete posts, and for good reason. Hitting the Report button is much easier on the Mentors than having to undelete posts, or having to fix broken threads that you trashed.In summary, if you want to delete a post, you can do it for a limited time after creating it. However,
Baela
I'm new here. How to delete a post? I can't see an option to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
There used to be issues with people posting schoolwork, getting answers, then deleting the thread to hide the evidence if doing so was considered cheating at their school. So you have to hit the Report button and ask for deletion.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and russ_watters
Ibix said:
There used to be issues with people posting schoolwork, getting answers, then deleting the thread to hide the evidence if doing so was considered cheating at their school. So you have to hit the Report button and ask for deletion.
Thanks for your reply. In that case post deletion until it has not not received any reply should be allowed at least.

Baela said:
Thanks for your reply. In that case post deletion until it has not not received any reply should be allowed at least.
Is this classical physics?

Baela said:
And btw, the preview function is not working as it should. It's not rendering equations as how they appear after posting the post. So it's even more problematic to not allow post-deletion.

Baela said:
And btw, the preview function is not working as it should. It's not rendering equations as how they appear after posting the post. So it's even more problematic to not allow post-deletion.
Yes we know that. There is a forum section dedicated to forum feedback. You can however edit your posts for a limited time.

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/feedback-and-announcements.19/

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and Baela
Baela said:
Yeah, LaTeX not rendering in preview is a known bug. It appears to be difficult to fix.

If you refresh after posting the LaTeX parser will wake up, and then you can edit. Or if you draft your post as a reply to another thread which contains LaTeX then you can paste the finalised text into a new thread. You should be able to delete posts if you post by accident - it's only threads you can't.

Likes Baela
Baela said:
I'm new here. How to delete a post? I can't see an option to do it.
You can do it only for a limited time after creating it.

You cannot do it anymore if the thread contains answers. We consider it rude to those who made an effort to answer your question. Deleting threads would send the message to them that their work isn't appreciated.

On rare occasions, we delete threads if higher values like for instance privacy are at stake.

So, please contact mentors by using the "report" button and describe why you want to delete a thread.

Likes Astronuc
If you want to delete a thread right after creation, first edit the main post of the thread and write in big bold letters:

Requested thread deletion, please do NOT reply.

Then use the report button to request a deletion.

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes malawi_glenn, fresh_42 and Baela
Baela said:
In that case post deletion until it has not not received any reply should be allowed at least.
Yes. The Mentors received your deletion request from your report a few minutes ago, and since there were no replies yet, it has been deleted. Have a nice day. :smile:

Likes Baela
berkeman said:
Yes. The Mentors received your deletion request from your report a few minutes ago, and since there were no replies yet, it has been deleted. Have a nice day. :smile:
Thanks! :) Nice day to you too!

Likes berkeman
Wrichik Basu said:
If you want to delete a thread right after creation, first edit the main post of the thread and write in big bold letters:

Requested thread deletion, please do NOT reply.

Then use the report button to request a deletion.
This is a very bad idea and I recommend not doing it.

If such threads remain unreported or unseen, then they will turn in pure trash that will pile up over the years.

DO NOT DESTROY THREADS ON YOUR OWN!

Ask a mentor to solve the problem for you!

Likes dextercioby, topsquark and berkeman
fresh_42 said:
This is a very bad idea and I recommend not doing it.

If such threads remain unreported or unseen, then they will turn in pure trash that will pile up over the years.

DO NOT DESTROY THREADS ON YOUR OWN!

Ask a mentor to solve the problem for you!
It can definitely be done for threads that haven't received a reply, isn't it? And I recommend doing it for such threads only. That's why I mentioned, "If you want to delete a thread right after creation..."

Wrichik Basu said:
It can definitely be done for threads that haven't received a reply, isn't it?
It's better to just report the thread you want deleted, and leave the rest to the Mentors.

Google indexing probably dings PF brownie points when it sees something like that...

Likes topsquark
berkeman said:
It's better to just report the thread you want deleted, and leave the rest to the Mentors.

Google indexing probably dings PF brownie points when it sees something like that...
But what if the mentors take some time to respond to the report, and by then, someone reads through the thread and writes a reply? This edit can save people's time, I think.

When it comes to the freedom to edit and delete posts, Physics Forum is quite restrictive compared to Physics Stack Exchange. On PSE we can edit/delete posts whenever we want.

Baela said:
When it comes to the freedom to edit and delete posts, Physics Forum is quite restrictive compared to Physics Stack Exchange. On PSE we can edit/delete posts whenever we want.
The two sites work on different concepts. Even in PSE, you can't delete a question if it has more than one answer.

Likes topsquark
Wrichik Basu said:
But what if the mentors take some time to respond to the report, and by then, someone reads through the thread and writes a reply? This edit can save people's time, I think.
No. You wouldn't guess how many threads I deleted with a destroyed first post, even some that already received answers. It is the obligation of the mentors to solve problems or clean up threads.

Any own attempts to skirt such processes cause way more work than deleting a thread.

Thank you.

Likes berkeman and topsquark
Baela said:
Speaking for myself, if someone is trying to cheat on a take home or online exam, it's still cheating, even if no reply has been received. It doesn't matter so much to me that someone who is simply trying to have a post erased for legitimate reasons is inconvenienced if it gives me information that some other member is being academically dishonest.

I am quite happy with the members not being able to delete their posts, here and on the other sites I haunt.

-Dan

Likes fresh_42
topsquark said:
Speaking for myself, if someone is trying to cheat on a take home or online exam, it's still cheating, even if no reply has been received. It doesn't matter so much to me that someone who is simply trying to have a post erased for legitimate reasons is inconvenienced if it gives me information that some other member is being academically dishonest.

I am quite happy with the members not being able to delete their posts, here and on the other sites I haunt.

-Dan
This is so true!

I think anybody who ever wrote a lengthy reply, be it by formulas, long texts, or even by internet research while responding, knows the frustration when you read "Oops, we ran into problems" after finally hitting "send". Heck, I'm even annoyed if this happens to me (and it did) when fellow mentors have meanwhile decided to close that thing I'm responding to.

Deletions should be moderated.

Baela said:
Then stay at PSE?

Likes topsquark, dextercioby and Bystander