How to design self-reversing screws?

• Thread starter RubenJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is about designing a self-reversing screw for a personal project involving a biomass feeding system. The speaker is having trouble finding information and measurements for the screw and is seeking help.
RubenJ
good afternoon
I would like to design a self-reversing screws for a small personal project, but I can not find anything to be able to carry it out, as well as measurements, thread pitch, gypsi, ...
to see if you can help me

Attachments

• 1_THE_PAWLS_OF_WINCHES_.JPG
    1_THE_PAWLS_OF_WINCHES_.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 905
  • thumblg_selfreversing.jpg
    thumblg_selfreversing.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 923
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello
I've searched on the subject in Google but I can not find anything about the development and calculations. As well as the size of the gypsi on the axis of the self-reversing screws. I would like to develop one for a biomass feeding system, it is a personal project, but I really do not find anything.
Thank you.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a self-reversing screw and how does it work?

A self-reversing screw is a type of screw that can drive in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions. It works by having a unique thread design that allows it to engage with the material being drilled in both directions.

2. What are the benefits of using self-reversing screws?

The main benefit of using self-reversing screws is increased efficiency and convenience. They eliminate the need for constantly changing the direction of the screwdriver, making it easier and faster to drive in screws. They are also useful for tight spaces where it may be difficult to maneuver a screwdriver in different directions.

3. How do I design a self-reversing screw?

The design of a self-reversing screw involves creating a unique thread pattern that allows for engagement in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions. This can be achieved by using a combination of left-hand and right-hand threads or by incorporating a helix angle in the design.

4. What factors should I consider when designing self-reversing screws?

When designing self-reversing screws, it is important to consider the material being drilled, the torque requirements, and the application of the screw. The thread design should be optimized for both clockwise and counterclockwise directions and the screw should be able to withstand the required torque without stripping or breaking.

5. Are self-reversing screws suitable for all types of applications?

Self-reversing screws are suitable for most applications, but there are some limitations. They may not be suitable for heavy-duty applications that require high torque, as they may not be able to withstand the force. They are also not recommended for use in applications where accuracy is crucial, as they may not provide the same level of precision as traditional screws.