How to determine the product of two Hermitian operators is Hermitian

In summary, this conversation is about a commutation relation between two operators. If the commutation relation is ihbar, then the product of the two operators is not Hermitian. Furthermore, if the two operators do not commute, then their product is not Hermitian.
lonewolf219
Let's say we have operator X that is Hermitian and we have operator P that is Hermitian. Is the following true:

[X,P]=ihbar

This is the commutator of X and P.
This particular result is known as the canonical commutation relation.
Expanding:
[X,P]=XP-PX=ihbar
This result indicates that XP[itex]\neq[/itex]PX because XP-PX[itex]\neq[/itex]0
Because XP[itex]\neq[/itex]PX, XP is not a Hermitian operator.
Likewise, because PX[itex]\neq[/itex]XP, PX is not a Hermitian operator.

So to summarize:

The commutator implies multiplication of operators
Multiplication of Hermitian operators does not always produce another Hermitian operator.
If two Hermitian operators do not commute, then their product is not Hermitian.

Any mistakes here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The product of Hermitian operators A,B is Hermitian only if the two operators commute: AB=BA.
This follows directly from the definition of Hermitian: H*=H. Then using the properties of the conjugate transpose:

(AB)*= B*A* = BA which is not equal to AB unless they commute.

The relationship [X,P]=ihbar holds when X,P form a conjugate pair from Lagrangian mechanics - if X is the position operator, then P is the momentum operator conjugate to X.

For example, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_coordinates

Actually. XP=PX+const*1 tells you 3 things directly:

1. If the representation is made on a complex separable Hilbert space, this space is infinite dimensional.
2. At least one of the 2 operators is unbounded.
3. The Stone-von Neumann uniqueness theorem.

From these 3 things one can infer that when XP and PX are defined on a common dense everywhere invariant domain of L^2 (R) such as the Schwartz space S(R), X,P are essentially self-adjoint and the operators XP and PX are not even symmetric.

dextercioby said:
Actually. XP=PX+const*1 tells you 3 things directly:

1. If the representation is made on a complex separable Hilbert space, this space is infinite dimensional.
2. At least one of the 2 operators is unbounded.
3. The Stone-von Neumann uniqueness theorem.

From these 3 things one can infer that when XP and PX are defined on a common dense everywhere invariant domain of L^2 (R) such as the Schwartz space S(R), X,P are essentially self-adjoint and the operators XP and PX are not even symmetric.

I didn't understand any of that ... not how it is connected to the OP, not too clear on 1,2, 3, and not at all on the conclusions.

And I had QM as an undergrad and in graduate school ...

1 is a trivial result.
2 Is a result of Wintner (1947) and Wielandt (1948).
3 is a statement of Stone rigorously proved by von Neumann for the first time.

UltrafastPED said:
I didn't understand any of that ... not how it is connected to the OP, not too clear on 1,2, 3, and not at all on the conclusions.

And I had QM as an undergrad and in graduate school ...

I think this, at least partially, shows the difference between North American and European programs. I also saw none of this in undergrad or grad quantum mechanics (in Canada).

I think your post #2 is the appropriate answer to the OP.

For my own interest, I took loads of pure math courses not required for my physics degrees.

Since all linear operators on finite-dimensional vector spaces are bounded, 1. follows from 2., and 2. is proved here:

George Jones said:
Set [itex]\hbar = 1[/itex] and assume

[tex]AB - BA = iI.[/tex]

Multiplying the commutation relation by [itex]B[/itex] and reaaranging gives

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
AB - BA &= iI \\
AB^2 - BAB &= iB \\
AB^2 - B \left( BA + iI \right) &= iB \\
AB^2 - B^2 A &= 2iB.
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

By induction,

[tex]AB^n - B^n A = niB^{n-1}[/tex]

for every positive integer [itex]n[/itex]. Consequently,

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
n\left\| B \right\|^{n-1} &=\left\| AB^n - B^n A \right\| \\
&\leq 2\left\| A \right\| \left\| B \right\|^n\\
n &\leq 2\left\| A \right\| \left\| B \right\| .
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Because this is true for every [itex]n[/itex], at least one of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] must be unbounded. Say it is [itex]A[/itex]. Then, by the Hellinger-Toeplitz theorem, if [itex]A[/itex] is self-adjoint, the domain of physical observable [itex]A[/itex] cannot be all of Hilbert space!

None of this seems relevant to the OP ... no matter how erudite it is.

UltrafastPED, thanks for your post. You are right, that is more along the lines of what I was asking. Thanks also George Jones and dexter, it's interesting to hear about concepts beyond what I have studied so far

1. What are Hermitian operators?

Hermitian operators are linear operators in quantum mechanics that correspond to physical observables. They have the property that their eigenvalues are always real numbers.

2. What is the product of two Hermitian operators?

The product of two Hermitian operators is another Hermitian operator. This means that the eigenvalues of the product operator will also be real numbers.

3. How do you determine if an operator is Hermitian?

To determine if an operator is Hermitian, you can check if it satisfies the property of self-adjointness. This means that the operator is equal to its own adjoint (conjugate transpose). If this property is satisfied, then the operator is Hermitian.

4. Why is it important to determine if the product of two operators is Hermitian?

It is important to determine if the product of two operators is Hermitian because Hermitian operators correspond to physical observables, such as energy, momentum, and spin. Knowing that the product of two operators is Hermitian allows us to make accurate measurements and predictions in quantum mechanics.

5. Can the product of two non-Hermitian operators be Hermitian?

No, the product of two non-Hermitian operators will not be Hermitian. Hermitian operators have a specific property that cannot be satisfied by non-Hermitian operators. However, the product of two non-Hermitian operators may still have some useful properties in quantum mechanics.