How to differentiate functions with x in their exponents

In summary, to find the derivative of y = {(7x^2)}^{x^2}, we can take the natural logarithm of both sides and use the chain rule and product rule to simplify. The final answer is 2x(ln(7x^2)+1){(7x^2)}^{x^2}.
canger
I'm not sure how to differentiate y with respect to x for:

y = (7x^2)^[x^2]

Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[itex] y = {(7x^2)}^{x^2} [/itex]

Mission: To find [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex]

We want to eliminate the problem of the exponent [itex] x^2 [/itex].
There are several ways, but here's one neat way. Take the natural logarithm of both sides. In each step i will write in red what mathematical identity I have used to get to the expression.

[itex] \ln(y) = \ln({(7x^2)}^{x^2}) [/itex]

[itex] \ln(y) = x^2\ln(7x^2) [/itex] [itex] \ln{(a^b)} = b\ln(a) [/itex]

[itex] \ln(y) = x^2\ln{({(\sqrt{7}x)}^2)} [/itex] [itex] ab^2 = {(\sqrt{a}b)}^2 [/itex]

[itex] \ln(y) = 2x^2\ln{(\sqrt{7}x)} [/itex] [itex] \ln{(a^b)} = b\ln{a} [/itex]

Now raise [itex] e [/itex] to the power of each side to get.

[itex] y = e^{2x^2\ln(\sqrt{7}x)} [/itex]

What remains is just deriving this expression, and to do so you only need to know the chain rule and product rule, and how to derive [itex] e^x [/itex].

Ok, so let's do the remaining.

[itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}e^{2x^2\ln(\sqrt{7}x)} = e^{2x^2\ln(\sqrt{7}x)}\cdot \frac{d}{dx}2x^2\ln(\sqrt{7}x) [/itex] Chain rule

Now

[itex] \frac{d}{dx}2x^2\ln(\sqrt{7}x) = 4x\ln(\sqrt{7}x) + 2x^2 \frac{1}{x} = 2x(\ln(7x^2) +1) [/itex] Product rule

Thus

[itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = 2x(\ln(7x^2) +1)e^{2x^2\ln(\sqrt{7}x)} = 2x(\ln(7x^2) +1){(7x^2)}^{x^2} [/itex]

Last edited:
Use the chain rule with u=x^2, and v=x^2. Factor out the constant, and your answer should appear quickly.

1. How do I differentiate a function with x in the exponent?

To differentiate a function with x in the exponent, you can use the power rule. This states that when differentiating a function of the form f(x) = xn, the derivative is f'(x) = nxn-1. Simply apply this rule to the function you are trying to differentiate.

2. Can I use the power rule for functions with more complicated exponents?

Yes, the power rule can be applied to functions with more complicated exponents, such as x2x+3. In these cases, you will need to use logarithmic differentiation, which involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the function before applying the power rule.

3. Are there any other rules for differentiating functions with x in the exponent?

Yes, in addition to the power rule, there are other rules that can be used to differentiate functions with x in the exponent. These include the product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It is important to understand these rules and when to apply them in order to differentiate more complex functions.

4. Can I differentiate a function with multiple variables in the exponent?

Yes, you can differentiate a function with multiple variables in the exponent. In this case, you will need to use partial differentiation, which involves differentiating with respect to one variable while treating the other variables as constants. The power rule can still be applied in this case, but with the appropriate partial derivative.

5. Is there a general formula for differentiating functions with x in the exponent?

No, there is not a single formula that can be used to differentiate all functions with x in the exponent. Different functions may require different rules or techniques for differentiation. It is important to understand the various rules and techniques for differentiation in order to effectively differentiate functions with x in the exponent.