Limit of (e^x - e^-x - 2x)/(x - sinx) | How To Solve

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, at x=0, the first step is e^x-e^{-x}=-1 and the derivative is x. At x=1, the first step is e^x+e^{-x}=-2 and the derivative is again x.
zeion

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{e^x - e^{-x} - 2x}{x - sinx}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I need to do a l'hopital?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you asking? It's 0/0 form, isn't it?

What do I do with a [tex]e^{-0}[/tex]? Is that the same as just 0

zeion said:

Sure. -0 is the same as 0. What's e^0?

Ok so I do some l'hops and I get this

[tex]\frac {e^x + e^{-x} - x}{1 - cosx} = \frac {e^x - e^{-x} - 1}{sinx} = \frac {1-1-1}{1} = -1[/tex]

zeion said:
Ok so I do some l'hops and I get this

[tex]\frac {e^x + e^{-x} - x}{1 - cosx} = \frac {e^x - e^{-x} - 1}{sinx} = \frac {1-1-1}{1} = -1[/tex]

Look at your first step. Since when is the derivative of 2x equal to x?

zeion said:

Dick said:
Sure. -0 is the same as 0. What's e^0?

Just to clarify, e-0 = e0 = 1. I believe Dick understood what you meant, zeion, even though you didn't ask the question clearly. IOW e-0 is not the same as 0.

Ok sorry so I get like
[tex]\frac {e^x + e^{-x} -2}{1-cosx} = \frac {e^x - e^{-x}}{sinx} = \frac {e^x + e^{-x}}{cosx} = 2?[/tex]

zeion said:
Ok sorry so I get like
[tex]\frac {e^x + e^{-x} -2}{1-cosx} = \frac {e^x - e^{-x}}{sinx} = \frac {e^x + e^{-x}}{cosx} = 2?[/tex]

I feel like I'm reading a book called "Mathematical Calculations in the Twilight Zone". :smile:

zeion said:
Ok sorry so I get like

That's the right answer, but elect_eng makes a good point. Those quantities AREN'T equal. The LIMITS as x->0 of those quantities are equal. That's what makes it spooky to read.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches, but may not necessarily reach, as its input approaches a particular point.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, first evaluate the function at the input value it is approaching. Then, try to simplify the expression as much as possible. If the simplified expression results in a finite number, then that is the limit of the function. If it is not possible to simplify the expression, you may need to use more advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the limit?

While most calculators have the capability to evaluate limits, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques used to find limits rather than relying solely on technology. Additionally, some limits may not be possible to evaluate using a calculator, so it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles.

4. What are some common techniques for evaluating limits?

Some common techniques for evaluating limits include direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, and trigonometric identities. Additionally, there are more advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule, the squeeze theorem, and series expansion that can be used for more complex limits.

5. How do limits relate to real-world applications?

Limits are used in many real-world applications, especially in science and engineering. For example, they are used to model the behavior of systems that approach certain values, such as the speed of an object approaching a particular velocity or the concentration of a chemical as it approaches equilibrium. Limits also play a crucial role in understanding the concept of continuity, which is essential in many fields of study.