How to draw 0.5 amp of current from a 10Ah battery

In summary, the person is planning to use a Li-ion battery to power four small pmdc motors rated at 24V and 0.5amps. They are wondering if a 24V 10Ah battery will provide enough power for their application and how to draw the required amount of current from the battery. They have tried using two small power tool batteries but encountered issues. The response advises on the use of a current regulator to prevent overloading of the motors.
dave226

Homework Statement

I am planning to use a Li-ion battery running my 4 small pmdc motors rated at 24V and 0.5amps. Is 24V 10Ah battery enough to provide sufficient power to run my application? There is a current controller which is rated at 3amps and voltage upto 44V. I want to restrict the current within the limits of controller which is providing an interface with four motors.

What is the exact way to draw a required amount of current from a battery rated at 10Ah?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried two small power tool batteries rated at 18V nearly 1.5Ah, it run my application at first for one or two second, but later on it discharged.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like there might be something wrong with those power tool batteries (NiMH?). Anyway, you should be aware that "Ah" has nothing to do with power, but indicates the duration of the fully charged (new) battery. "The exact way to draw a required amount of current from a battery", is to simply connect it to the circuit requiring the power, and make sure that the battery is charged and has sufficient voltage. The circuit that it is connected to should determine the current. If you are concerned about overloading the motors, then you should use a current regulator.

I would recommend using a 10Ah battery for this application. However, it is important to note that the voltage and current requirements for the motors should also be taken into consideration. If the motors require 24V and 0.5A each, then a 24V 10Ah battery should be sufficient to power all four motors.

To draw 0.5A of current from the battery, you will need to use a current controller or a voltage regulator that can limit the current to 0.5A. This will ensure that the motors do not draw more current than they require, and will also protect the battery from overloading.

Additionally, it is important to properly calculate the power requirements for your application to ensure that the battery can sustain the current and voltage demands. This can be done by using the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. In this case, the power required would be 24V x 0.5A = 12 watts.

I would also recommend using a battery with a higher capacity, such as a 12V 20Ah battery, to ensure that it can sustain the current demands for a longer period of time. It is always better to have a battery with a higher capacity than what is required, as it will provide a longer run time and also prevent damage to the battery.

In summary, to draw 0.5A of current from a 10Ah battery, you will need to use a current controller or voltage regulator, and ensure that the power requirements for your application are within the capabilities of the battery. It is also important to use a battery with a higher capacity to ensure a longer run time and prevent damage to the battery.

1. How do I calculate the resistance needed to draw 0.5 amps from a 10Ah battery?

To calculate the resistance, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In this case, the voltage will be the voltage of the battery, which is typically 12 volts. So, the equation will be R = 12V / 0.5A. This gives a resistance of 24 ohms.

2. Will using a higher resistance negatively affect the battery?

Using a higher resistance will not negatively affect the battery, but it will result in a lower current draw. The battery will still provide 0.5 amps, but the overall power output will be lower. It is important to choose a resistance that is appropriate for the desired current draw to avoid damaging the battery.

3. Can I use a resistor to achieve 0.5 amps from the battery?

Yes, you can use a resistor to achieve 0.5 amps from the battery. As mentioned earlier, the resistance needed is 24 ohms. You can use a single resistor with this value, or you can use a combination of resistors to achieve the desired resistance.

4. How long will a 10Ah battery last when drawing 0.5 amps?

To determine how long the battery will last, you will need to use the formula for battery life, which is capacity (Ah) divided by current draw (A). In this case, the battery life will be 10Ah / 0.5A, which gives a battery life of 20 hours.

5. Can I use a device that draws more than 0.5 amps with a 10Ah battery?

Yes, you can use a device that draws more than 0.5 amps with a 10Ah battery. However, the battery will not last as long. You will need to recalculate the battery life using the new current draw to determine how long the battery will last. It is important to note that using a higher current draw may also result in a lower voltage output from the battery.