How to equate logical statements

• Thread starter Zrpeip
  • Start date
In summary: In this case, you should start by stating what (i) and (ii) mean, and then say that you want to show that if (i) is true, then so is (ii).In summary, the task is to show that three statements describing convergence, using different variables, are equivalent. To do this, we need to show that (i) implies (ii), (ii) implies (iii), and (iii) implies (i). This can be done by carefully considering the definitions of (i) and (ii) and using them to prove each statement. It is important to be thorough and explicit in showing each step, even if it may seem obvious.
Zrpeip

Homework Statement

We have three statements that describe convergence, but using different variables.
We are asked to show that all statements are equivalent.

Homework Equations

Show that

i. [itex]\forall[/itex]ε > 0 ∃N [itex]\forall[/itex]n ≥ N : |a[itex]_{n}[/itex]-a|< ε
ii. [itex]\forall[/itex]δ > 0 ∃M [itex]\forall[/itex]n ≥ M : |a[itex]_{n}[/itex]-a|≤ δ
iii. [itex]\forall[/itex]λ > 0 ∃K [itex]\forall[/itex]n ≥ K : |a[itex]_{n}[/itex]-a|≤ 42λ[itex]^{2}[/itex]

are equivalent statements.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to somehow reformulate epsilon to include/represent delta and lambda, but don't really have an idea how to proceed.
It is also confusing to me that 42λ[itex]^{2}[/itex] and δ could be equal to the difference of the sequence and limit, whereas ε is only larger than.
For i to be equivalent to ii and iii, we would need to exclude this case, or include it for epsilon in i, right? (assuming the sequence and limit are 'the same' in each)

I'm not interested in getting the answer, but rather an approach as this course will likely be proof-heavy and I really want to get a handle on the techniques.
I just don't know what I'm 'allowed' to do (for example, I can't simply say N = M = K, or can I? And then, does that really show anything?)

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
One approach would be to show that (i) implies (ii), (ii) implies (iii), and (iii) implies (i). To show (i) implies (ii). You assume (i) is true and use it to prove (ii) is true.

Writing proofs for "obvious" things can be tricky because it's hard to figure out exactly what you need to show. You need to be pedantic and point out every little step.

1. How do I determine if two logical statements are equivalent?

To determine if two logical statements are equivalent, you can use truth tables or logical equivalency laws, such as De Morgan's laws and double negation. These tools allow you to compare the truth values of each statement and see if they result in the same output for all possible combinations of inputs.

2. What is the process for equating logical statements?

The process for equating logical statements involves breaking down each statement into its constituent parts and then using logical equivalency laws to manipulate the statements until they are in the same form. This may involve using laws such as distribution, commutativity, and associativity.

3. Can I use algebraic techniques to equate logical statements?

Yes, algebraic techniques such as substitution and simplification can be used to equate logical statements. However, it is important to remember that logical statements follow a different set of rules than algebraic equations, so adjustments may need to be made accordingly.

4. How can I check if my equated statement is correct?

You can check if your equated statement is correct by using a truth table. By inputting all possible combinations of truth values for the variables in your statements, you can compare the output of the original statement and the equated statement. If they have the same output for all combinations, then your equated statement is correct.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when equating logical statements?

One common mistake to avoid when equating logical statements is assuming that logical equivalency laws work the same way as algebraic laws. It is important to carefully apply the correct rules and not make any assumptions. Additionally, double-checking your work with a truth table can help catch any errors that may have been made during the equating process.