How to ergonomically look at book while programming?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of referring to a book for documentation while programming and finding an ergonomic solution. Suggestions such as learning to touch type, using a book holder, dual monitors, or accessing e-books are mentioned. It is also noted that not all books are available in electronic format and some may be cheaper in hard copy. The importance of giving credit for using code from others is emphasized, and a quick and dirty solution using a paper holder is suggested. It is also mentioned that some programming books provide their code online or on a CD.
annoyinggirl
When programming, we often look at book for documentation of the code. Therefore, we are constantly referring to the book while typing. But how could this be done ergonomically while typing? Where do we place the book so that it doesn't strain the neck or back to look from computer screen to book and back to screen? What do you do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Learn to touch type so you don't have to look at the screen all the time, just focus on the book

annoyinggirl said:
When programming, we often look at book for documentation of the code. Therefore, we are constantly referring to the book while typing. But how could this be done ergonomically while typing? Where do we place the book so that it doesn't strain the neck or back to look from computer screen to book and back to screen? What do you do?
:DD hahaha e-books please.

Book holder
MDK-732310000.jpg

Dual monitors and an Ebook reader are an amazing thing :)

Likes Kidiz and harborsparrow
dorlomin said:
Book holder
MDK-732310000.jpg
Where do you place the book holder : next to you or behind the laptop screen with the bookholder elevated or something else?

phinds said:
Learn to touch type so you don't have to look at the screen all the time, just focus on the book
I can type at 100 words per minute. but i mean even if i could type without looking at the screen, i would still have to twist my body to look at book while typing. This is not ergonomical

annoyinggirl said:
I am type at 100 words per minute. but i mean even if i could type without looking at the screen, i would still have to twist my body to look at book while typing. This is not ergonomical
You can hang it e.g on the wall just behind and a little above your laptop screen such that you only need to move your eyes up and down while typing. I think this is neat. :nb)

Medicol said:
:DD hahaha e-books please.
not all books are available in ebook format. Also, sometimes i can get the book way cheaper in hard copy

Likes Medicol
I put written material just to the left of the computer and do not find it necessary to turn my head more than a little and I certainly don't have to turn my body.

I agree with a user that said to get dual monitors and just open the book in one of them. This is useful specially with programming books.. Getting a second-monitor is a great use of one's money.

Likes harborsparrow
Programming books typically provide their code online for free, so you shouldn't have to type code from a book directly. Look in the book for the URL (or maybe there is a CD in the back--old school).

I once had the unpleasant duty to bust two students for cheating because they had copied a large amount of code verbatim from a book, claimed it as their own work, and didn't give the code author any credit. Terms of the assignment were to allow use of other people's code IF credit was given. They didn't, and I recognized the code.

In the line of my work (as a programmer), I've seldom had to type in more than a few lines directly from a book, so this request did cause me to raise my eyebrows. A quick and dirty solution is to copy the pages and stick the paper copies into a paper holder next to the screen, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZWEQBO/?tag=pfamazon01-20

harborsparrow said:
Programming books typically provide their code online for free, so you shouldn't have to type code from a book directly. Look in the book for the URL (or maybe there is a CD in the back--old school).
Or really old-school, a floppy, either 5 1/4" or 3 1/2". I have a few books with floppies of either type in them.

1. How can I position my book while programming to prevent strain?

The best position for your book while programming is at eye level and no more than an arm's length away. This will help reduce strain on your neck and eyes. You can achieve this by using a book stand or propping your book up on a stack of books.

2. Is there a recommended distance between my eyes and the book?

A good rule of thumb is to keep the book at least 18 inches away from your eyes. This will help prevent eye strain and reduce the need to constantly adjust your focus between your screen and the book.

3. Do I need to take breaks while reading from a book while programming?

Yes, it is important to take breaks every 20 minutes to give your eyes a rest and prevent strain. During these breaks, it is also recommended to stretch your neck and shoulders to prevent muscle tension.

4. Can I use an e-reader or tablet instead of a physical book?

Yes, using an e-reader or tablet can be a good alternative as long as you adjust the font size and brightness to reduce eye strain. However, it is still important to take the same breaks and follow ergonomic positioning guidelines.

5. Are there any specific ergonomic features to look for in a book stand?

When choosing a book stand, look for one that is adjustable, has a sturdy base, and can hold the book at an angle. This will allow you to customize the position of your book to fit your specific needs and reduce strain on your neck and eyes.