Why Does the Contour Integral Contribution Vanish as Beta Approaches Infinity?

• Thread starter eraserxp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integration along C2 vanishes when \beta approaches infinity, resulting in a value of 1 at the pole \beta=0. This can be shown by using Cauchy's integral formula and Jordan's lemma, and considering the behavior of the integrand as R (the distance from the pole) approaches infinity. Therefore, the expression \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma-i\infty}^{\gamma+i\infty}\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}d\beta is equal to 1 when \varepsilon_{F}>\varepsilon_{i}.
eraserxp
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma-i\infty}^{\gamma+i\infty}\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}d\beta=?[/tex]

When [tex]\varepsilon_{F}>\varepsilon_{i} [/tex], the contour is C1 + C2 (see the attached file). Let [tex]\beta\rightarrow \infty[/tex], the integration along C2 vanishes. Then the result is given by the value of [tex]e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}/\beta [/tex] at pole [tex]\beta=0[/tex], which is 1.

The problem is that I don't understand why the contribution from C2 vanishes when [tex]\beta[/tex] approaches infinity. It seems to me that
[tex]\int_{C^2}\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}d\beta \leq \lim _{\beta\rightarrow \infty}\left|\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}\right|\lim_{\beta\rightarrow \infty} \left|d\beta\right|_{\gamma-i\infty}^{\gamma+i\infty}=\infty\cdot\infty[/tex]
The above equation doesn't rule out the possibility for the integration to be zero, but it still confuses me.

Attachments

• p0137-sel.jpg
    p0137-sel.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems a bit fishy to me, but I'm not expert. I can see that the contributions to the C2 integral from large negative values of beta will approach zero, but the contributions close to the Im(z) axis far away from the origin seem to not be damped enough (only one power of beta in the denominator).

Your expressions containing limits are a bit confusing, since you say that beta -> infinity. I guess you meant |beta| -> infinity. Also, I think you meant to say the "by the residue of [integrand] at pole beta=0 which is 1".

Also, I'm not sure what the meaning is of the expression where you take the absolute value of the integration measure d\beta.

Torquil

Thanks!

I should state it more clearly. Beta here is a complex number, and |beta|--> infinity. My last limit is confusing. It is the length of arc C2 at |beta|--> infinity, which is [tex]\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}\pi R[/tex].

The integral was taken from a book, and it was said in that book that when [tex]\varepsilon_{F}>\varepsilon_{i}[/tex], the result is 1. I have been thinking about it for a long time, but couldn't understand it. I guess maybe what the book says is wrong, and there is a typo in the book. It seems to me that [tex]\varepsilon_{F}[/tex] should be smaller than [tex]\varepsilon_{i}[/tex].

Let's consider the case when [tex]\varepsilon_{F}<\varepsilon_{i}[/tex]

According to Cachy integral formula, we have

[tex]f(a)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{C}\frac{f(z)}{z-a}dz[/tex] .

[tex] e^{0(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{C^1+C^2}\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}d\beta=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{C^1}\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}d\beta +\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{C^2}\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}d\beta [/tex].

In the above equation, the first integration on the right is
[tex] \frac{1}{2\pi i}\left|\int_{C^1}g(\beta)d\beta \right| \leq
\lim_{R\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{2\pi i}\left|\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta} \right|_{\mbox{max}}\left| \int_{C^1}d\beta\right|\sim 0*\infty =0[/tex],
the second integration is the integral that we seek to evaluate, therefore,
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma-i\infty}^{\gamma+i\infty}\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilo n_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}d\beta=g(0)=1[/tex]

I am not sure whether the above derivation is correct or not, please help check it. Thank you!

torquil said:
Seems a bit fishy to me, but I'm not expert. I can see that the contributions to the C2 integral from large negative values of beta will approach zero, but the contributions close to the Im(z) axis far away from the origin seem to not be damped enough (only one power of beta in the denominator).

Your expressions containing limits are a bit confusing, since you say that beta -> infinity. I guess you meant |beta| -> infinity. Also, I think you meant to say the "by the residue of [integrand] at pole beta=0 which is 1".

Also, I'm not sure what the meaning is of the expression where you take the absolute value of the integration measure d\beta.

Torquil

Last edited:
eraserxp said:
It seems to me that [tex]\varepsilon_{F}[/tex] should be smaller than [tex]\varepsilon_{i}[/tex].

You need [tex]\varepsilon_{F}>\varepsilon_{i}[/tex] so that the exponential kills the contributions on the far left of the contour.

What confuses me is that the power of beta in the denominator is not large enough to suppress the value of the intregral along C2, as far as I can see. Near the imaginary axis, the exponential doesn't suppress it. So I actually believe that the integral doesn't converge,but I may be wrong.

Btw, I don't think it is well-defined to write 0*infinity = 0 the way you do in your limit calculation.

If your expression is related to physics (epsilon_F sounds to me like the fermi energy?), then you could maybe find this calculation somewhere in the physics literature.

Torquil

See "[URL of Jordan´s lemma[/URL], you can generalize it slightly so that it can be applied to this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

I know how to evaluate the line integral now.

[tex]\beta -\gamma=R e^{i\theta}[/tex]

[tex]d\beta =d(\beta-\gamma)=i\cdot R \cdot e^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_{C^1}\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\beta}d\beta=\int_{\pi/2}^{3\pi/2}\frac{e^{(\gamma + R e^{i\theta})(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\gamma + R e^{i\theta}}iR e^{i\theta}d\theta=\int_{\pi/2}^{3\pi/2}\frac{e^{(\gamma + R \cos\theta + i R \sin\theta)(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\gamma + R \cos\theta + i R \sin\theta}iR e^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\leq \int_{\pi/2}^{3\pi/2}\left|\frac{e^{(\gamma + R \cos\theta + i R \sin\theta)(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\gamma + R \cos\theta + i R \sin\theta}iR e^{i\theta}\right|d\theta = \int_{\pi/2}^{3\pi/2}\frac{e^{\gamma (\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}e^{R\cos\theta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i)}}{\sqrt{\gamma^2+R^2+2R\gamma\cos\theta}}R d\theta[/tex]

As [tex]R\rightarrow \infty[/tex], the denominator in the integrand will cancels with R. Since [tex]\pi/2 \leq \theta \leq 3\pi/2[/tex], [tex]\cos\theta\ [/tex] is negative. If [tex]\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_i>0[/tex], then the numerator in the integrand will decay to 0 as R approaches infinity.

Count Iblis said:
See "[URL of Jordan´s lemma[/URL], you can generalize it slightly so that it can be applied to this problem.

Attachments

• integration.png
    integration.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 434
Last edited by a moderator:
I think I understand the situation here. The complex number [tex]\beta[/tex] not only includes the information about the magnitude but also the information about the phase [tex]\theta[/tex], so it is not a good way to look at the limit of

[tex]\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_{i})}}{\beta}[/tex]

from the purely magnitude sense, like

[tex]\lim_{\beta\rightarrow \infty}\left|\frac{e^{\beta(\varepsilon_{F}-\varepsilon_{i}})}{\beta}\right|[/tex]

It is better to split the real and imaginary parts of beta out, and then focus on the limit of the real part, like I did in the last post.

Your speculation is correct. This expression is related to physics, [tex]\varepsilon_{F}[/tex] is the Fermi energy.

torquil said:
You need [tex]\varepsilon_{F}>\varepsilon_{i}[/tex] so that the exponential kills the contributions on the far left of the contour.

What confuses me is that the power of beta in the denominator is not large enough to suppress the value of the intregral along C2, as far as I can see. Near the imaginary axis, the exponential doesn't suppress it. So I actually believe that the integral doesn't converge,but I may be wrong.

Btw, I don't think it is well-defined to write 0*infinity = 0 the way you do in your limit calculation.

If your expression is related to physics (epsilon_F sounds to me like the fermi energy?), then you could maybe find this calculation somewhere in the physics literature.

Torquil

Related to Why Does the Contour Integral Contribution Vanish as Beta Approaches Infinity?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the total value of continuously changing quantities, such as distance, velocity, or volume.

2. How do I evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you need to use mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. These techniques allow you to simplify the integral and solve it using basic integration rules.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating an integral?

The purpose of evaluating an integral is to find the exact value of the area under a curve or the total value of a continuously changing quantity. This is useful in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as calculating work done, finding the average value of a function, or determining the probability of an event.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, which means it gives a numerical value as the result. An indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and represents a general solution to the integration problem.

5. Can integrals be evaluated using technology?

Yes, integrals can be evaluated using technology such as calculators or computer software. However, it is important to understand the mathematical concepts behind integrals and how to evaluate them by hand before relying on technology.