How to Express the Curve of a String Hung Between Two Columns

In summary, the conversation discusses a string hung between two columns, which can be represented by a parabola. The tension of the string is affected by the distance between the columns and the length of the string, and this behavior can be described by a hyperbolic trigonometric function. The solution to this problem involves variational calculus with given constraints, but it may also be possible to solve without calculus by assuming the ends of the string are at the same height.
techjumper
1. Imagine two columns between which is hung a string. The hung string may be expressed graphically and mathematically as a parabola whose nature is exponential. If these columns are moved closer together or farther apart, the hung string becomes more loose or taut according to a trigonometric function both of the length of the string and the distance between the two columns. 1. What is this trigonometric function? 2. Create a general equation which can anticipate the mathematical expression of the parabola based on any combination of string lengths and column distances.

2. I am not sure of the relevant equations but I believe the nature of the string behaves according to a hyperbolic trigonometric function.

3. I lack the mathematical aptitude and relevant physics knowledge to provide an attempted solution. Thank you for your help and guidance. Please see my attached photo showing my attempt to visually reproduce this phenomenon.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
techjumper said:
2. I am not sure of the relevant equations but I believe the nature of the string behaves according to a hyperbolic trigonometric function.

Why do you believe so? I am not saying it is wrong, it would just be of help to know how you argue to come to this conclusion.

3. I lack the mathematical aptitude and relevant physics knowledge to provide an attempted solution. Thank you for your help and guidance. Please see my attached photo showing my attempt to visually reproduce this phenomenon.

It would also help to know how much physics and maths you do know. The physical principle is not very difficult - the string takes the shape that minimizes its energy. The mathematics involve variational calculus with given constraints. I assume we are considering the string to be non-elastic so that it does not stretch under its own weight (although this could be taken into account for added complexity).

Hi techjumper. Welcome to the famous Physics Forums. :approve:

Much has been written about wires strung between supports. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

Orodruin said:
The mathematics involve variational calculus with given constraints. I assume we are considering the string to be non-elastic so that it does not stretch under its own weight (although this could be taken into account for added complexity).
I'm not sure the solver is expected to go through that. The OP states that it is a parabola. From the further remark
according to a trigonometric function both of the length of the string and the distance between the two columns.
it would appear that the ends of the string are to be taken to be at the same height.
That should be enough to solve the problem without calculus.

1. How do I calculate the curve of a string hung between two columns?

To calculate the curve of a string, you will need to measure the distance between the two columns, the length of the string, and the weight of the string. Using these measurements, you can use the formula for a catenary curve to determine the shape of the string.

2. What is a catenary curve?

A catenary curve is the shape that a string or chain takes when hung between two fixed points. It is a type of curve that is commonly seen in suspension bridges and arches. It is also known as a "chainette" curve.

3. What factors affect the curve of a string?

The curve of a string is affected by the weight of the string, the distance between the two columns, and the tension applied to the string. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the curve.

4. Can I use the same formula for any type of string?

The formula for a catenary curve can be used for any type of string, as long as the weight and tension remain constant. However, the shape of the curve may vary depending on the material and thickness of the string.

5. How can I visually express the curve of a string hung between two columns?

There are several ways to visually express the curve of a string. One method is to use a graphing program to plot the points of the curve using the calculated measurements. Another way is to create a physical model using a flexible material, such as wire or string, and hang it between two points to observe the curve.