Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find an angle in spherical geometry.

1. Jan 18, 2013 #1
    Hi
    I am not familiar with spherical geometry. I am working with elliptical polarization that involves using poincare sphere that present the latitude and longitude angle in spherical geometry. I need to find the great circle angle if given two points that each specified by their longitude angle [itex] 2\tau[/itex] and latitude angle [itex] 2\chi[/itex].

ie. If I am given the [itex] \chi [/itex] and [itex]\tau[/itex] of [itex]M_{1}(\tau_{1},\chi_{1})[/itex] and [itex]M_{2}(\tau_{2},\chi_{2})[/itex], how can I find the great circle angle between [itex]M_{1}(\tau_{1},\chi_{1})[/itex] and [itex]M_{2}(\tau_{2},\chi_{2})[/itex]?

I really don't want to learn the details of spherical geometry, just want to learn the way of finding the angle as this is only a small part of antenna design.

Thanks

Alan

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

google for "great circle distance". eg. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GreatCircle.html

If the great circle distance is ##d##, then the angle (in radians) between the points is ##\theta=d/R## where R is the radius of the sphere.

4. Jan 18, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply, but what if if I have only the longitude and latitude angle of the two points, how can I find the great circle angle between the two points?

5. Jan 18, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Step 1: find the great-circle distance between the two points from the long and lat values.
    Step 2: divide this by the radius of the sphere.

Anticipating your next question: see link in post #2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook