1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find antiderivative of product

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    problem: find the anti derivative of x^5 + tan(2x)sec(2x)dx

how do you find the anti derivative of the second half of that problem tan(2x)sec(2x)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2
    Does the function y=sec(u)tan(u) look familiar at all? Perhaps as the derivative of some common elementary function?

4. Oct 29, 2006 #3
    yeah, you are going to have to use u-substitution twice. I don't know if I am correct or not, but I changed everything to sin and cos before anything and manipulated it that way. I then let u = cosx and du = -sinx. For the second u-substitution, I let v=u²-1 and (1/2)dv = udu. I hope that helps and does not confuse you and more.

5. Oct 29, 2006 #4
    What are you doing? What is the derivative of secant?

6. Oct 29, 2006 #5
    oh yeah... I see that the deriveitive of secx = secx tanx... Hmm... looks like I went a long.. long long long way around it.. haha. Sorry about that donjt81, I hope I didn't lead you too far the wrong way. I think it comes out to the same answer. Does it? Well, I guess we can both learn a lesson, or at least myself. And that is to really look at what's in front of you with the equation before just jumping into it. I just jumped right in and started to manipulate it, when I could have just taken a minute to think about what was really there and solved it much quicker and easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?