How to find eigenvectors of 2x2 by gauss jordan method

In summary: Here A- 0I= A and the equations are x+ y= 0, 2x+ 2y= 0 which is the same as x+ y= 0. Again taking x=1, y= -1 and the eigenvector is <1, -1>.In summary, to find eigenvectors using Gauss-Jordan, first find the eigenvalues by solving the characteristic equation. Then, for each eigenvalue, set up the equation (A- λI)v= 0 and use Gauss-Jordan to find a non-zero solution, which will be an eigenvector. In this case, the eigenvectors for the matrix A=[1 1; 2
sciencegirl1

Homework Statement

how to find eigenvectors by using gauss jordan

A=[1 1; 2 2]

Homework Equations

I know how to use gauss jordan but don´t know how to use it to find eigenvectors

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find the eigenvalues: ((y-1)(y-2)-(1*2)=> y1=0 and y2=3

Then I don´t know how to use the G.J method to find the eigenvectors.

Physics news on Phys.org
If 3 is an eigenvalue for A then there exist a non-zero vector v such that Av= 3v or (A- 3I)v= 0. Use Gauss-Jordan to find a non-zero solution to that equation and that solution is an eigenvector.
Here, A- 3I is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}-2 & 1 \\ 2 & -1\end{array}\right][/tex]
(I haven't used the "augmented" matrix since the third column would always be 0.)
Row reduce that. Because 3 is an eigenvalue, the last row will become all 0s and then the other rows give the eigenvectors. Here just adding the first row to the second will do that and the first row remains -2, 1. That is the same as -2x+ y= 0 or y= 2x. Taking x= 1, an eigenvector is <1, 2>. See what happens: What is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 2 & 2\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}1 \\ 2\end{array}\right][/tex]?

Do the same thing with eigevalue 0.

FAQ: How to find eigenvectors of 2x2 by gauss jordan method

1. What is the Gauss Jordan method for finding eigenvectors of a 2x2 matrix?

The Gauss Jordan method is a systematic approach to solving a system of linear equations, including those that involve finding eigenvectors. It involves using elementary row operations to transform the matrix into a reduced row echelon form, which reveals the eigenvectors.

2. How do I perform the Gauss Jordan method to find eigenvectors?

To perform the Gauss Jordan method, first write the 2x2 matrix in augmented form with the identity matrix on the right. Then, use row operations to transform the matrix into the reduced row echelon form. The resulting matrix will reveal the eigenvectors.

3. Can the Gauss Jordan method be used for matrices larger than 2x2?

Yes, the Gauss Jordan method can be used for matrices of any size. However, it can become more complex and time-consuming for larger matrices.

4. What are the advantages of using the Gauss Jordan method to find eigenvectors?

The Gauss Jordan method provides a systematic and efficient approach to finding eigenvectors, especially for 2x2 matrices. It also allows for quick identification of linearly independent eigenvectors.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Gauss Jordan method for finding eigenvectors?

The Gauss Jordan method may not always be the most efficient approach for finding eigenvectors, especially for larger matrices. Additionally, it may not work for matrices with repeated eigenvalues.