How to find emission peak of emission spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the emission peak of a polymer using an Invia confocal Raman microscope. The speaker suggests using a gaussian to fit the curve and pick an accurate peak. The conversation also highlights the importance of having a clear understanding of the measurement instrument and the availability of the entire spectrum.
Yinxiao Li
Hi all,
I have been getting the emission spectrum of a polymer for a while. The emission peak is very important for that polymer. How do I find the emission peak of the polymer? The reason I ask this question is that if I simply select the highest point, then several points at different wavelengths have very similar counts and there might be some error there...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yinxiao Li said:
Hi all,
I have been getting the emission spectrum of a polymer for a while. The emission peak is very important for that polymer. How do I find the emission peak of the polymer? The reason I ask this question is that if I simply select the highest point, then several points at different wavelengths have very similar counts and there might be some error there...

First of all, your question is extremely vague. You did not explain what type of measurement/instrument you were using, and you did not indicate if you have the entire spectrum available.

So why can't you look at the spectrum, select a peak that you want, and pick a point in the middle of the peak? If you have to be more precise with it, fit the peak with a gaussian, if you must, and then use the peak value from your fitting.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
First of all, your question is extremely vague. You did not explain what type of measurement/instrument you were using, and you did not indicate if you have the entire spectrum available.

So why can't you look at the spectrum, select a peak that you want, and pick a point in the middle of the peak? If you have to be more precise with it, fit the peak with a gaussian, if you must, and then use the peak value from your fitting.

Zz.
Thanks for your answer. I am using Invia confocal Raman microscope, and the entire spectrum is available. As you have suggested, I should use a gaussian to fit the curve--because I do need an accurate peak. I will try it.

1. How do I identify the emission peak in an emission spectrum?

To identify the emission peak in an emission spectrum, you must first plot the spectrum on a graph with wavelength on the x-axis and intensity on the y-axis. The peak will be the highest point on the graph and will correspond to the wavelength with the highest intensity.

2. What causes an emission peak in an emission spectrum?

An emission peak occurs when an atom or molecule releases energy in the form of light. This can happen when an electron in the atom or molecule moves from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, emitting a photon of light in the process. The specific energy levels and transitions of the atom or molecule determine the wavelength and intensity of the emission peak.

3. Can there be multiple emission peaks in an emission spectrum?

Yes, there can be multiple emission peaks in an emission spectrum. This can occur when there are multiple energy level transitions happening within the atom or molecule at the same time, resulting in the emission of photons at different wavelengths and intensities. The number and position of the peaks can provide valuable information about the structure and composition of the atom or molecule.

4. How do I measure the intensity of an emission peak?

The intensity of an emission peak can be measured by using a spectrophotometer, which is a device that measures the amount of light absorbed or emitted by a sample at different wavelengths. The intensity is usually represented as a percentage or a numerical value and can give insight into the amount of energy being emitted by the atom or molecule.

5. What factors can affect the position and intensity of an emission peak?

The position and intensity of an emission peak can be affected by various factors, including the composition and concentration of the sample, the temperature, and external influences such as pressure or electric fields. Additionally, different atoms and molecules have unique energy level structures, so the position and intensity of their emission peaks will also differ.