Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find emission peak of emission spectrum

1. Oct 3, 2015 #1
    Hi all,
    I have been getting the emission spectrum of a polymer for a while. The emission peak is very important for that polymer. How do I find the emission peak of the polymer? The reason I ask this question is that if I simply select the highest point, then several points at different wavelengths have very similar counts and there might be some error there...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all, your question is extremely vague. You did not explain what type of measurement/instrument you were using, and you did not indicate if you have the entire spectrum available.

So why can't you look at the spectrum, select a peak that you want, and pick a point in the middle of the peak? If you have to be more precise with it, fit the peak with a gaussian, if you must, and then use the peak value from your fitting.

Zz.

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your answer. I am using Invia confocal Raman microscope, and the entire spectrum is available. As you have suggested, I should use a gaussian to fit the curve--because I do need an accurate peak. I will try it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook