How to find energy levels in doped silicon

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
zje
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is part of a much larger problem, but I'm stuck on trying to draw an energy band diagram for doped silicon and I'm wondering if it is possible for me to find the energy levels ( E_c, E_v, E_f, and E_i ) in a doped semiconductor knowing only the concentrations? This seems really basic to me, but I'm not getting anywhere. I've tried searching places and I can't seem to find anything.


Homework Equations


I've been looking at this:

E_f - E_i = kT ln(N_D/n_i)

But I don't seem to know E_i or E_f

The Attempt at a Solution


I think that E_g = 1.12eV, so E_c - E_i = 0.56eV, but where can I go from here?


Thank you very much for your help and sorry if this post is a little off, it's my first one


P.S.
Sorry for the poor formatting on the formula, I kept running into problems with the LaTeX formatting
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that I can get E_f - E_i rather easily and if my assumption for E_c - E_i is correct, then E_c - E_f = (E_c - E_i) - (E_f - E_i), which is what I think I'm looking for. However, I'm somewhat hesitant to believe it's that simple.

Maybe the trick is to get more sleep :-)