Calculating kWh from Amps, Voltage and Time

• Thread starter chrisdanger
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate kWh from amps, voltage, and time, you can use the formula: kWh = (Amps x Voltage x Time) / 1000. This formula takes into account the fact that 1 watt equals 1 joule per second, and 1 kilowatt equals 1000 watts. However, you cannot calculate kWh using just amps and voltage, as you also need to know the time. This is because kWh is a unit of energy that is dependent on both power and time. Additionally, kW is a unit of power while kWh is a unit of energy, and you can use any unit of time (e.g. minutes, seconds) when calculating kWh as long as it is converted to hours.
chrisdanger

Homework Statement

I need to find kwh and I'm not sure how

Given:
amps
voltage
time (in days)
kilowatts

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried multiplying time in days by 24 and then multiplying by the hours but that didn't work

Physics news on Phys.org
chrisdanger said:
I tried multiplying time in days by 24 and then multiplying by the hours but that didn't work

What exactly did you multiply the time with?
You have to find energy, when the power and time are given. Simple multiplication should do it. Or you could post the specific values.

To calculate kWh from amps, voltage, and time, you can use the formula: kWh = (amps * voltage * time) / 1000. Make sure to convert the time from days to hours before plugging it into the formula. For example, if the time given is 3 days, you would multiply it by 24 to get 72 hours. Then, you can plug in the values for amps, voltage, and time (in hours) into the formula to calculate the kWh. Remember to divide the result by 1000 to get the final value in kWh. Alternatively, you can also use an online calculator or consult a conversion chart to make the calculations easier.

1. How do I calculate kWh from amps, voltage, and time?

To calculate kWh (kilowatt-hour) from amps, voltage, and time, you can use the formula: kWh = (Amps x Voltage x Time) / 1000. This formula takes into account the fact that 1 watt equals 1 joule per second, and 1 kilowatt equals 1000 watts.

2. Can I calculate kWh using just amps and voltage?

No, you also need to know the time in order to calculate kWh. This is because kWh is a unit of energy that is dependent on both power (measured in watts) and time (measured in hours).

3. What is the difference between kW and kWh?

kW (kilowatt) is a unit of power, which measures the rate at which energy is used or generated. kWh (kilowatt-hour) is a unit of energy, which measures the amount of energy used or generated over a period of time.

4. Can I use any unit of time when calculating kWh?

Yes, as long as the time is measured in hours, you can use any unit of time (e.g. minutes, seconds) when calculating kWh. Just be sure to convert the time to hours before plugging it into the formula.

5. How can I use kWh to track my energy usage?

You can use kWh to track your energy usage by keeping track of your monthly electricity bills, which usually indicate the amount of kWh used during that billing period. You can also use a kWh meter to monitor your energy usage in real-time.