How to find mass moment of inertia in a dynamics problem

In summary, the homework statement says that a uniform slender l shaped bar ABC is at rest in a vertical plane when two upward forces are applied. Knowing that the mass of bar is 20 kg, determine the initial angular acceleration of the bar and the initial acceleration of point b.
hachi_roku

Homework Statement

a uniform slender l shaped bar abc is at rest in a vertical plane when two upward forces are applied. knowing that the mass of bar is 20kg, determine the initial angular acceleration of the bar and the initial acceleration of point b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i've attached the solution for this problem. i just don't get how I = 6...
ive tried using the forumula 1/12ml^2 and using the parallel axis theorem but i don't get 6.

Attachments

• Soln16057.pdf
    59.1 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
help?

If I am not mistaken, the solution shows an "L" shaped bar upside down. What is the rectangle extending from "A" to "B"? Are you sure you posted the solution of the problem that you have stated?

sorry bout that...the dimension from a to b is also 1.2, and the solution attached is the correct one.

OK. The center of mass is at point "G". It is the midpoint of the line connecting the two midpoints of the arms of the "L". Use the parallel axes theorem to find the moment of inertia about point "G". Add the moment of inertia about G of one arm to the moment of inertia about "G" of the other arm. That will be the moment of inertia of the "L" about G.

so would it be 1/12(20)(1.2)^2 + (20)(.3)^2 for one arm? i get 4.2

since the distance is .3 on both sides, would it be 4.2(2) = 8.4?

still not sure how they got 6

1) The mass of one arm is only 10kg
2) The distance you used when applying parallel axis theorem is wrong. What is the distance between the CoM of the individual arm and point G?

The parallel axes theorem says
I = ICM+Md2
where d is the distance between the CM axis and the parallel axis. Here 0.3 m is the distance from the rod to point G, not the distance from the midpoint of the rod (where the CM is) to point G. Also, the mass of the whole thing is 20 kg, so one rod is 10 kg. Put it all together and you will get the 6 kg.m2.

finally got 6...thanks!

Related to How to find mass moment of inertia in a dynamics problem

1. What is mass moment of inertia in a dynamics problem?

The mass moment of inertia, also known as the rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a crucial factor in solving dynamics problems involving rotating objects.

2. How is mass moment of inertia calculated?

Mass moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This distance is known as the moment arm or radius of gyration. The calculation can vary depending on the shape and distribution of mass of the object.

3. Is mass moment of inertia the same as mass?

No, mass and mass moment of inertia are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while mass moment of inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion.

4. How does mass moment of inertia affect the motion of a rotating object?

The larger the mass moment of inertia, the more resistance an object will have to changes in its rotational motion. This means that objects with a higher mass moment of inertia will require more torque to accelerate or decelerate in rotation.

5. How do I use mass moment of inertia in dynamics problems?

In dynamics problems, mass moment of inertia is used to calculate the torque required to cause a certain rotational acceleration or deceleration of an object. It is also used to calculate the angular momentum and angular velocity of a rotating object.