How to find Heliocentric latitude data for each planet?

In summary: The precession of the perihelion is the slowest of the three types of precession. It takes about 25 million years to complete a full rotation. You can read more about it on the Wikipedia page linked earlier.
Mikael17
TL;DR Summary
How to find Planet Heliocentric latitude data ?
Does anyone know where to find information (or software or calculator) able to show on which days / time (2021) where Mercury (and other planets) are as low/high as possible on the heliocentric latitude

For example: like the animation seen in the link below.

The problem with this site is that the animation runs too fast, - so it is not possible to stop it at the time you want.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello @Mikael17 ael17,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:

You might find NASA's JPL's Horizons System useful.

https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons/app.html#/

• Pick you favorite planet for the "Target Body."
  • Pick whatever location you like for the "Observer Location" (I don't think it matters for this particular case, if I'm interpreting the system correctly [I've never actually used it for this myself]).
  • Edit the "Table Settings" where you will find a checkbox labeled,"Heliocentric ecliptic lon. & lat." and check it.

When it generates the table for your specified "Time Specification" settings, a couple of the columns will be the Heliocentric longitude and latitude.

Heliocentric latitude is what I assume you're interested in here.

330px-Heliocentric_rectangular_ecliptic.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic_coordinate_system

It won't spit out the minimum and maximum for you automatically, but you should be able to find them by playing around with it.

Likes jim mcnamara and Bandersnatch
I have one more question, and that is: - how much the planets' lowest (or highest) position in the sky "rotates" (relative to the Sun's Equator) - through time.

Example: - let's say that the Earth's lowest position relative to the Sun's equator is March 1st this year.

I imagine that there is a rotation of this lowest (and highest) possible position and therefore that this date (March 1st ) changes every year.

How long a period does it takes for a complete one "rotation" (360°) of such "lowest position".

Same question for the other planets in the solar system. - Where can this information be found?

What is such a "rotation" called?

The Earh's orbit is basically fixed in space, but it does rotate slowly. This is called the precession of the perihelion. This is not to be confused with the precession of the Earth's axis, which takes about 26,000 years to complete a cycle. The precession of the perihelion, which is what you are asking about, for the Earth is about 5 arcseconds/century, which means it takes about 25 million years to complete a full rotation.

Precession of perihelion I understand.

The question is: what about planets lowest (or highest) position in the sky (relative to the Sun's Equator) - ( planet latitude) Does these planets lowest (or highest) position rotate too , - or are these always pointing to the same direction.

There is the precession of nodes, too.

Mikael17 said:
Precession of perihelion I understand.

The question is: what about planets lowest (or highest) position in the sky (relative to the Sun's Equator) - ( planet latitude) Does these planets lowest (or highest) position rotate too , - or are these always pointing to the same direction.
The whole orbit rotates in space. So the position of the perihelion, the position of the nodes and the positions of the highest and lowest points all rotate together. This is the ideal case. In the real solar system, other perturbations affect things on this time scale. For example, the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit changes on much shorter time scales.

phyzguy said:
The whole orbit rotates in space. So the position of the perihelion, the position of the nodes and the positions of the highest and lowest points all rotate together.
No.
Nodes and antinodes inherently do rotate together. But this is not the case with apsides.
Case - Moon. Moon´s nodes and antinodes complete a circle in 18,6 years. Moon´s apsides in 8,85 years.

snorkack said:
No.
Nodes and antinodes inherently do rotate together.
How long time does "node rotaion" of the planets of the solar system take ?, and where on the internet is it more to read about it ?

1. What is Heliocentric latitude data?

Heliocentric latitude data is a measurement of a planet's position relative to the sun, specifically its angular distance north or south of the sun's equator. It is an important piece of information for understanding a planet's orbit and its relationship to other planets in the solar system.

2. Where can I find Heliocentric latitude data for each planet?

Heliocentric latitude data can be found in various scientific databases and publications, such as NASA's Planetary Fact Sheets or the Jet Propulsion Laboratory's Horizons system. It can also be obtained through astronomical software programs or by performing calculations using orbital elements.

3. How is Heliocentric latitude data measured?

Heliocentric latitude data is measured using a reference system called the ecliptic coordinate system. The ecliptic is the plane of Earth's orbit around the sun, and the coordinates are measured in degrees north or south of this plane. The data is typically updated regularly as the planets continue to orbit the sun.

4. Why is Heliocentric latitude data important for studying planets?

Heliocentric latitude data is important for understanding a planet's orbit and its relationship to other planets in the solar system. It can also provide insights into a planet's climate, seasons, and axial tilt. By tracking changes in a planet's heliocentric latitude, scientists can also make predictions about future events, such as planetary alignments or conjunctions.

5. Are there any variations in Heliocentric latitude data for each planet?

Yes, there are variations in Heliocentric latitude data for each planet due to factors such as its distance from the sun, its orbital speed, and gravitational influences from other planets. These variations can also change over time as a planet's orbit is affected by external forces. Therefore, it is important to regularly update and track Heliocentric latitude data for accurate scientific analysis.