1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the electric field coming from a sphere WITHOUT using Gauss' law?

1. Jan 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I find the electric field at a point above the center of a charged sphere? Assume the sphere is a shell.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution\

I know there will only be a z component to the electric field, because x and y components will cancel by symmetry. I think the process will have to involve integrating over the surface of the sphere. Where do I start?

More things I know (or think I know):
    dq = σdA
    The dA terms will point radially from the sphere.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

With a coordinate system, and with an expression for the radial component of the electric field as function of the distance to your charge.
    You can use symmetry to reduce the two-dimensional integral to a one-dimensional integral quickly.

4. Jan 23, 2013 #3
    Can you use shell theorem to just treat it as a point charge, as long as the charge is symmetrically distributed?

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That would be the result of Gauß' law ;).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook