How to find the frequency of the second wave?

In summary, the beat frequency is 10Hz because 5 waves in a certain time duration gives 50Hz, but only 1 beat is shown in wave form B.
nineteen
Homework Statement
I have provided the question as a photograph. Please refer to that.
Relevant Equations
Beat frequency = Frequency of wave 2 - Frequency of wave 1
I don’t understand how to approach this. So I couldn’t make an attempt at a solution. Please help me understand better. Thank you in advance.
1993D20D-145A-4DC4-926D-165C709BEB78.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
As you write in the equations section , beat frequency=frequency of wave 2-frequency of wave 1.
The beat frequency is the frequency of the combined signal, that is signal (B). Frequency of wave 1 is the frequency of signal (A), while frequency of wave 2 is the frequency of the unknown signal (C).

What can you tell, by observing the waveforms A and B, about the frequency of signal (A) in relation to the frequency of signal (B)? How many times bigger or how many times smaller is the frequency of signal (A) than that of (B)?

Likes nineteen
Delta2 said:
As you write in the equations section , beat frequency=frequency of wave 2-frequency of wave 1.
The beat frequency is the frequency of the combined signal, that is signal (B). Frequency of wave 1 is the frequency of signal (A), while frequency of wave 2 is the frequency of the unknown signal (C).

What can you tell, by observing the waveforms A and B, about the frequency of signal (A) in relation to the frequency of signal (B)? How many times bigger or how many times smaller is the frequency of signal (A) than that of (B)?

Hey, I know the answer also, the answer is 60Hz. I just want an explanation of how it came because.

The correct answer is 3) 60Hz. I just want an explanation on how it became the answer.

nineteen said:
The correct answer is 3) 60Hz. I just want an explanation on how it became the answer.
It is not entirely clear whether you asking how the equation you quote is justified or how to apply it in this case. Maybe both?
For how to apply, look at B. The magnitudes of the rapid oscillations are at a minimum where the vertical dotted lines have been drawn. So from one such line to the next is one period of the beat. Given that A shows 50Hz, what is the beat frequency in B?

Likes nineteen
It is against the rules of these forums to provide you with a full detailed solution, without you showing some effort to participate in the solution steps.
So please participate and try to answer my question (or Haruspex's question in post #5). What can you say about the frequency of the combined signal B just by observing the waveforms in the figure and especially by comparing the parts between the dotted lines?

Last edited:
Likes nineteen
Delta2 said:
It is against the rules of these forums to provide you with a full detailed solution, without you showing some effort to participate in the solution steps.
So please participate and try to answer my question (or Haruspex's question in post #5). What can you say about the frequency of the combined signal B just by observing the waveforms in the figure and especially by comparing the parts between the dotted lines?

I found the way. 5 waves in a certain time duration gives 50Hz. For the same time duration it only shows 1 beat in wave form B. Given that, after combining the 50Hz frequency and the frequency f the beats per that certain time is 1. As the equation says the beat frequency is the difference between the two combined frequencies, and here the difference of the two frequencies gives 1 beat per unit time. 5 waves gives 50 Hz (5 x 10) and 1 beat should also give the multiplication of it by 10 as its frequency. So the real beat frequency is 10 Hz. The question mentions that the frequency f is greater than 50 Hz. So what frequency greater than 50 Hz here gives difference between it and 50 Hz as 10 Hz. None other than 60 Hz. So the answer is 60 Hz. Am I correct?

@haruspex you also please check whether my solution is right or wrong.

Thank you both @Delta2 and @haruspex

Well, you are correct mostly. The only thing that seems abit vague to me is your explanation on why the beat frequency is 10Hz. Other than that all is good.

Related to How to find the frequency of the second wave?

1. What is the definition of frequency in relation to waves?

Frequency is the number of cycles or oscillations that occur in a wave per unit of time. It is typically measured in hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of a wave?

Frequency can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its wavelength. This can be represented by the equation f = v/λ, where f is frequency, v is the speed of the wave, and λ is the wavelength.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and energy in waves?

The higher the frequency of a wave, the more energy it carries. This is because higher frequency waves have shorter wavelengths and therefore more cycles per unit of time.

4. Can frequency be changed or manipulated in a wave?

Yes, frequency can be changed by altering the speed of the wave or by changing the medium through which the wave travels. In some cases, frequency can also be changed by using specialized equipment such as filters.

5. How is frequency measured in real-life scenarios?

In real-life scenarios, frequency is typically measured using electronic devices such as oscilloscopes or frequency counters. These devices can accurately measure the number of cycles per second of a wave and display it in hertz.