How to find the torque, power and shear stress in this case

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary information and factors needed to calculate the torque, power, and shear stress for a TV mount. The known values include the diameter and length of the rod, the mass of the TV, and the desired movement. The discussion also touches on the importance of feedback for proper control and the role of friction forces in determining required torque.
TashdGyeltshen
Here is the sketch of the tv mount. http://1drv.ms/1G4yW6W
The known values to me are the diameter of the rod (6mm), the length of the rod (600mm), the mass of the TV= 8.7kg and that the tv is supposed to move 600mm in 5 secs. Is there any information that I am missing in order to calculate the torque, power and the shear stress? Can anyone please help me with this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you planning to run the servo motors open loop, or do you intend to have feedback of some sort? Open loop does not strike me as a great idea, but if you have a control loop, that loop will establish your velocity and acceleration patterns. These in turn will define the power and torque required.

You need to know the friction coefficient of the different components (screws & bearings). Friction forces will probably play a major role in the torque required.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force of an object. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N-m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done. It is a measure of how quickly energy is transferred. It is typically measured in units of watts (W) or horsepower (hp).

4. How can I determine power?

To determine power, you need to know the amount of work done and the time it took to do that work. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.

5. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a measure of the force per unit area that is required to cause a solid object to slide along a plane, parallel to the direction of the force. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).