Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the torque, power and shear stress in this case

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    Here is the sketch of the tv mount. http://1drv.ms/1G4yW6W
    The known values to me are the diameter of the rod (6mm), the length of the rod (600mm), the mass of the TV= 8.7kg and that the tv is supposed to move 600mm in 5 secs. Is there any information that I am missing in order to calculate the torque, power and the shear stress? Can anyone please help me with this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2
    Are you planning to run the servo motors open loop, or do you intend to have feedback of some sort? Open loop does not strike me as a great idea, but if you have a control loop, that loop will establish your velocity and acceleration patterns. These in turn will define the power and torque required.

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to know the friction coefficient of the different components (screws & bearings). Friction forces will probably play a major role in the torque required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook