How to find work when you have force and time

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work being done when going up a flight of stairs and how it is related to energy changes. The formula for calculating work is provided, and the concept of power is introduced as the rate of energy change. The correct formula for calculating power is given, and the conversation concludes with the calculation of the individual's power rating for both walking and running up the stairs.
alicia113
I have an at home lab. That tells me to run up a flight of stairs. My flight of stairs is 3 m (vertical height). To walk up the stairs it takes me 6.98 seconds. To run up the stairs it takes me 2.88 seconds. I need to find the work that is being done. I weigh 118 pounds that is 526 N. How do I come about this I know work is

W=(F)(D)

So do I need to put my time in seconds into something. But what? Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
As you mention [itex]W=\vec{F}\cdot \vec{d}[/itex], time doesn't appear there, and that's because the work done by a force is independent of the time length of the force action.

The meassurement of time it takes you to go upstairs is not really that useful. Try to approach the problem in a different way.

Hint: When you go upstairs the work you do becomes energy. Think about it, How much more energy do you have after you have gone upstairs? where does this energy comes from?

What CFede said. Look at it from the point of view of energy gained.

There is an interesting conclusion.

Is it

F x D
--------
t
?

Hi again alicia, i think you are very confused. The time here, is good for nothing. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to go upstairs, whether you can do t in 3 minutes or 3 hours is irrelevant, the work done is the same. You must approach the problem in a different manner, let me try to explain:

When the energy of a body changes, that energy change must ahve come from somewhere. If at some moment, a body A has more energy that at an earlier time, that "extra" energy it has, he must have obtained from something else, this means, that some work had to be done to the body A in order to grant him that "extra" energy.

When you go upstairs, your energy increases, more specifically, your gravitational potencial energy increases. This increase in the potential energy occurs because of the work done, which means, the increase in the potential energy is equivalent to the work done, this is:

[itex]W=\Delta E=E_f-E_i=mgh_f-mgh_i=mg\Delta h[/itex]

In this way, you can relate the work done, with the energy difference. As you can see time plays no role in this whole thing. You must think of the problem in terms of energy changes.

Another comment too. This equation you mention [itex]W=\vec{F}\cdot\vec{d}[/itex] is true for constant (or average) forces only. Since this is not the case, you shouldn't use that.

Hope you understand a little better now. If not, ask again.

CFede said:
Hi again alicia, i think you are very confused. The time here, is good for nothing. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to go upstairs, whether you can do t in 3 minutes or 3 hours is irrelevant, the work done is the same. You must approach the problem in a different manner, let me try to explain:

When the energy of a body changes, that energy change must ahve come from somewhere. If at some moment, a body A has more energy that at an earlier time, that "extra" energy it has, he must have obtained from something else, this means, that some work had to be done to the body A in order to grant him that "extra" energy.

When you go upstairs, your energy increases, more specifically, your gravitational potencial energy increases. This increase in the potential energy occurs because of the work done, which means, the increase in the potential energy is equivalent to the work done, this is:

[itex]W=\Delta E=E_f-E_i=mgh_f-mgh_i=mg\Delta h[/itex]

In this way, you can relate the work done, with the energy difference. As you can see time plays no role in this whole thing. You must think of the problem in terms of energy changes.

Another comment too. This equation you mention [itex]W=\vec{F}\cdot\vec{d}[/itex] is true for constant (or average) forces only. Since this is not the case, you shouldn't use that.

Hope you understand a little better now. If not, ask again.

Ok so I under stood the question wrong. It says I need to find my power rating. Is that correct? For my previous Anwser?

I was thinking power rating was work ... It's not work correct ?

alicia113 said:
Ok so I under stood the question wrong. It says I need to find my power rating. Is that correct? For my previous Anwser?

I was thinking power rating was work ... It's not work correct ?

You can think of power as being the rate of energy change, whereas work is the total change in energy, independent of time. So, if we let [itex] \Delta W [/itex] be the work performed, the equation for the average power is [tex] P_{avg} = \frac { \Delta W} { \Delta t} [/tex] So, calculate the work using the formula provided by CFede, and then divide by time.

Ok thanks!

So it will be
W=FxD
= 526N x 3m
=1578J

Pavrg= 1578J/6.98m
= 226.98. ( what's the unit)

6.98s I'm sorry!

Well, you should use CFede's formula to calculate the work (e.g. The change in gravitational potential energy.).

Also, the unit of power is Joules per second (J/s).

alicia113 said:
Ok thanks!

So it will be
W=FxD
= 526N x 3m
=1578J

Pavrg= 1578J/6.98m
= 226.98. ( what's the unit)

Not quite.. It's...

Pavrg= 1578J/6.98S
= 226.98 J/S (eg Joules per second)

1 J/S = 1 Watt

so

Pavrg = 226.98 Watts

If you prefer horses then 750W=1Hp so 226.98 is about 0.3 Hp

So that's my power than?

Thank you so much!

So my power for 2.88s is 0.7 hp or 529.53 watts

1578j/2.88s = 548w

1. How can I use my force and time to find work?

The best way to use your force and time to find work is to identify your strengths and skills and look for job opportunities that align with them. You can also network with people in your field, attend job fairs, and utilize online job search platforms.

2. What industries are best for someone with force and time?

Industries that require physical labor or involve managing time and resources are ideal for someone with force and time. This could include fields such as construction, manufacturing, logistics, or project management.

3. How can I highlight my force and time in a job application or interview?

When applying for a job or during an interview, make sure to emphasize your physical strength and ability to manage time effectively. Provide specific examples of times when you have used your force and time to complete tasks efficiently and successfully.

4. Are there any specific skills or training that I should have for jobs that require force and time?

Some jobs may require specific certifications or training, such as forklift operation or project management. It is important to research the specific job requirements and make sure you have the necessary skills and qualifications before applying.

5. Can I use my force and time in a non-physical job?

Yes, even in non-physical jobs, having the ability to manage time and resources effectively can be a valuable asset. You can also look for roles that require physical tasks, such as lifting or moving objects, in addition to other responsibilities.