How to further metrology study from machine design approach?

In summary, the individual is seeking to further their knowledge in metrology with a focus on designing measuring instruments. They are looking for suggestions on courses, syllabi, and reference materials for this specific topic. They have found a course on precision mechanical design from MIT and are considering starting with a course on mechanical design before moving on to PMD. They are also interested in learning about basic measurement systems such as strain gauges before progressing to more complex instruments like CMMs.
Sanchayan Ghosh
Hello,
I have metrology in my 4 semester in Bachelor's of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering. However, the books that we get (Engineering Metrology, R.K Jain,) give only a brief principle of how the instruments work. I want to further my study of this subject with an intention to design measuring instruments. Hence, I must know the internal workings of the machinery, (complete knowledge of all the linkages and optical arrangements). In brief, I would like to learn metrology from the perspective of designing and improving the machines themselves.
May anyone please help me out by,
1. Suggesting a course or syllabus.
2. Guiding me briefly through the path of in depth understanding of the components.
3. Suggesting reference material and books along the way.
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for courses in precision mechanical design. This is not likely to be taught in most engineering colleges, but you can probably find some things on the 'net that will be interesting reading.

What type of machines do you have in mind? I am assume you are thinking of dimensional metrology, but even that covers a huge range of measurements.
A CMM is a very different from an end standard!

FIrst, apologies for posting in the wrong forum. I would like to start with learning completely how basic measurement systems like strain gauges, etc work and then slowly move to optical measuring instruemtns and finally top lebel CMMs, etc/

Dr.D said:
Look for courses in precision mechanical design. This is not likely to be taught in most engineering colleges, but you can probably find some things on the 'net that will be interesting reading.

I found ocw - Precision Mechanical Design from MIT which asks me to start with the ocw on Mechanical Design. I have the book for Mechanical Engineering Design by Shingley. So, your take is I learn Mechanical Design and then move on to PMD?

Last edited:

1. What is metrology and how is it related to machine design?

Metrology is the science of measurement and its application. It involves the study of measurement principles, methods, and instruments used to quantify physical quantities. In machine design, metrology plays a crucial role in ensuring the accuracy and precision of measurements in the design, development, and manufacturing processes.

2. What are the key factors to consider when incorporating metrology in machine design?

The key factors to consider are accuracy, precision, repeatability, and traceability. Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true value, while precision refers to the consistency of repeated measurements. Repeatability is the ability to obtain the same result when measuring the same quantity multiple times, and traceability ensures that the measurement is standardized and can be traced back to an international standard.

3. How can machine design benefit from incorporating metrology?

Incorporating metrology in machine design can lead to improved quality control, increased efficiency and productivity, and reduced costs. By ensuring accurate and precise measurements, it can help identify and correct any design flaws early on in the process, leading to better final products and fewer errors in production.

4. What are some common challenges in implementing metrology in machine design?

One of the main challenges is selecting the appropriate measurement techniques and instruments for the specific design and application. Another challenge is ensuring the calibration and maintenance of the measurement instruments to maintain accuracy and traceability. Additionally, the integration of metrology into the design process may require additional time and resources.

5. How can one further their study of metrology from a machine design approach?

One can further their study by taking courses or workshops on metrology and measurement principles, as well as staying updated on the latest advancements in measurement technology. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience with measurement instruments and techniques through internships or research projects can also deepen one's understanding of metrology in the context of machine design.