How to get a dc power supply to produce 2V at 10-20 milliamps?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
pb23me
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
I just got a adjustable dc power supply and I cannot figure out why it will not produce 1-2V at very small amps such as 10-20 milli amps? Is this not possible with a common dc power supply? I would greatly appreciate some help with this...
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
What brand and make is the power supply?
What kind of load are you connection this to?
 
You don't need a power supply, you need an opamp.
 
But you can ONLY get a 2V source to produce a current of 20mA through one particular value of resistor. If you have an open circuit at the terminals then the current will be 0mA. The supply can't 'insist' on any value of current.
The current depends upon the Load and the Supply Volts:
I = V/R

Perhaps you should specify a bit more about the circumstances of the OP. I have a feeling there is something else we should know.