What Technologies Can Supply High Temperatures and Where Are They Needed?

• Thread starter acoustic
  • Start date
In summary, combustion of a fuel is the most common way to generate high temperatures, while air convection and friction can also reach high temperatures. There are many specialized applications that use high temperatures, such as lasers, microwaves, and neutral beam injection.
acoustic
Dear All

I would like to know what technologies are able to supply high temperatures (higher than 250 celsius) and in what fields these values of temperatures are needed.

For example, I know that we use heat pump for water heating (around 80 celsius) or more simply we can obtain high temperature by boiling oil for example.

I am waiting for your answers

Thank you in advance

Science news on Phys.org
Your question is too general. I could answer "barbecue", and it would technically be an answer but you probably wouldn't think it was helpful. Can you be more specific?

Vanadium 50 said:
Your question is too general. I could answer "barbecue", and it would technically be an answer but you probably wouldn't think it was helpful. Can you be more specific?

Thank you Vanadium 50 for your reply.

In fact, I want to know the technologies used especially in the industries. In the food industry for example which method we use to increase the tempeature and what range of temperature is needed. In the oil refining also we need to increase its temperature in order to separate kerozene from gasoline from gas etc..

I would like to get other ideas and suggestions from ththis forum members if possible

Once more thak you very much for your interest

Still sounds like "burn something" qualifies.

There are two common approaches for generating high temperatures:

1. Combustion of a fuel
2. Joule heating

Some specialized applications use radiative heating (from high intensity lamps).

You should look these up for more information.

I used an induction heater in the factory where I worked almost 40 years ago. Stick a 3/8" steel rod into the coil, step on the actuator pedal, and within about 5 seconds it was glowing like Paris Hilton on crack.
You can also use microwaves, chemical reactions (explosive welding is interesting, if not frightening), focused solar, nuclear (as in the NERVA and KIWI series rocket engines), more directly nuclear (as in "duck, I'm pulling the pin")...
I don't know much about boiling oil, but a quick Google of Genghis Khan can probably give you more information than you will find comfortable.

No one said lasers yet so there.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
No one said lasers yet so there.

Yeah, yeah... there has to be a smart-*** kid in every crowd...

:biggrin:

I don't think that this meets the specified temperature range, but geothermal can get pretty intense.

Woah... in THIS crowd? ;-)

Depending on the application, one could add air convection to speed up the process.

Friction can probably reach pretty high temperature, but again, only if the application allows it (the heat caused by grinding probably facilitates the grinding).

And here's something else to round out the corners: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Beam_Injection

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Woah... in THIS crowd? ;-)
Weird, ain't it? I thought of this as a young person's site when I joined. It was a couple of years before I realized that a lot of the members are my age or beyond.
Nice reference, by the bye. I was unaware of neutral beam injection until you introduced it.

I had a hunch tokamaks didn't work on geothermal.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
I had a hunch tokamaks didn't work on geothermal.

Yeah... as I understand it, there was some problem with the flux density.

Thank you all for your contributions.

acoustic said:
Thank you all for your contributions.

Any time, pal. As you can see, we take our jobs very seriously. :rolleyes:

I found an interesting document about the process heating systems and I want to share with you if you are interested.http://www1.eere.energy.gov/industry/bestpractices/pdfs/process_heating_sourcebook2.pdf

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the energy or time to read that right now, but will definitely do so in the near future. It looks really interesting.

Related to What Technologies Can Supply High Temperatures and Where Are They Needed?

1. How do I increase the temperature of a substance?

To increase the temperature of a substance, you can apply heat energy through various methods such as using a flame, electric current, or friction. This will cause the molecules in the substance to vibrate faster, resulting in a higher temperature.

2. What is the maximum temperature that can be achieved?

The maximum temperature that can be achieved depends on the substance and the method of heating. For example, some substances have a higher boiling point, so they can withstand higher temperatures. Additionally, different heating methods have different temperature limits.

3. Can I use pressure to increase temperature?

Yes, pressure can also be used to increase temperature. When pressure is applied to a gas, the molecules are compressed, which increases their kinetic energy and raises the temperature. This is known as adiabatic heating.

4. How can I maintain a high temperature for a long time?

To maintain a high temperature for a long time, you need to use a good insulator to prevent heat from escaping. This can be achieved by using materials such as ceramic, glass, or metal with a low thermal conductivity. Additionally, regularly supplying heat energy can also help maintain a high temperature.

5. Are there any safety precautions when dealing with high temperatures?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when working with high temperatures. It is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles to avoid burns and eye injuries. You should also be aware of the risks of explosions and fires when using high temperatures and take necessary precautions to prevent accidents.