Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get high temperatures

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    Dear All

I would like to know what technologies are able to supply high temperatures (higher than 250 celsius) and in what fields these values of temperatures are needed.

For example, I know that we use heat pump for water heating (around 80 celsius) or more simply we can obtain high temperature by boiling oil for example.

I am waiting for your answers

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your question is too general. I could answer "barbecue", and it would technically be an answer but you probably wouldn't think it was helpful. Can you be more specific?

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3
    Thank you Vanadium 50 for your reply.

In fact, I want to know the technologies used especially in the industries. In the food industry for example wich method we use to increase the tempeature and what range of temperature is needed. In the oil refining also we need to increase its temperature in order to seperate kerozene from gasoline from gas etc..

I would like to get other ideas and suggestions from ththis forum members if possible

Once more thak you very much for your interest

5. Sep 18, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Still sounds like "burn something" qualifies.

6. Sep 18, 2010 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are two common approaches for generating high temperatures:

1. Combustion of a fuel
    2. Joule heating

Some specialized applications use radiative heating (from high intensity lamps).

You should look these up for more information.

7. Sep 18, 2010 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I used an induction heater in the factory where I worked almost 40 years ago. Stick a 3/8" steel rod into the coil, step on the actuator pedal, and within about 5 seconds it was glowing like Paris Hilton on crack.
    You can also use microwaves, chemical reactions (explosive welding is interesting, if not frightening), focused solar, nuclear (as in the NERVA and KIWI series rocket engines), more directly nuclear (as in "duck, I'm pulling the pin")...
    I don't know much about boiling oil, but a quick Google of Genghis Khan can probably give you more information than you will find comfortable.

8. Sep 18, 2010 #7
    No one said lasers yet so there.

9. Sep 18, 2010 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, yeah... there has to be a smart-*** kid in every crowd...

:biggrin:

I don't think that this meets the specified temperature range, but geothermal can get pretty intense.

10. Sep 18, 2010 #9
    Woah... in THIS crowd? ;-)

Depending on the application, one could add air convection to speed up the process.

Friction can probably reach pretty high temperature, but again, only if the application allows it (the heat caused by grinding probably facilitates the grinding).

And here's something else to round out the corners: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Beam_Injection

11. Sep 18, 2010 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Weird, ain't it? I thought of this as a young person's site when I joined. It was a couple of years before I realized that a lot of the members are my age or beyond.
    Nice reference, by the bye. I was unaware of neutral beam injection until you introduced it.

12. Sep 18, 2010 #11
    I had a hunch tokamaks didn't work on geothermal.

13. Sep 18, 2010 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah... as I understand it, there was some problem with the flux density.

14. Sep 18, 2010 #13
    Thank you all for your contributions.

15. Sep 19, 2010 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Any time, pal. As you can see, we take our jobs very seriously. :uhh:

16. Sep 20, 2010 #15
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  17. Sep 20, 2010 #16

Danger

Gold Member

I don't have the energy or time to read that right now, but will definitely do so in the near future. It looks really interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook