How to get this result for this integral?

• A
  • Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses using WolframAlpha to calculate an integral and obtaining the solution shown above. The solution involves using the series expansion of 1/sqrt in correspondence with the Gauss Hypergeometric function. It is suggested to make a substitution and use the integral representation of the hypergeometric function, followed by applying Kummer's first formula to the result.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I used wolframalpha to calculate an integral and here's what I got:

## \displaystyle \int \frac {dy}{y^d} \left( \frac 1 {\sqrt{1-y^{2d}}}-1\right)=\frac{y^{1-d}\left[ y^{2d} \ _2F_1\left( \frac 1 2,\frac{d+1}{2d};\frac {3d+1}{2d};y^{2d} \right)+(d+1)\left( \sqrt{1-y^{2d}}-1 \right) \right]}{1-d^2} ##

Does anyone have any idea how to arrive at this solution?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The series expansion of the 1/sqrt can be put in correspondence with the Gauss Hypergeometric function. Just look at the definition of 2F1.

I suggest that you make the substitution, ##t=y^{2d}## and use the integral representation of of the hypergeometric function. Then apply Kummer's first formula to your result.

1. How do I find the antiderivative for this integral?

The first step in finding the antiderivative is to identify the function inside the integral. Then, use integration rules and techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to find the antiderivative.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this integral?

While some integrals can be solved using a calculator, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration. Calculators can be helpful in checking your answers, but relying on them may hinder your understanding of the material.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use?

There is no specific rule for determining which integration technique to use. It often depends on the form of the integral and the functions involved. As you practice more, you will become more familiar with different techniques and when to apply them.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration. Another is not properly applying integration rules or making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully check your work and identify any mistakes.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of your antiderivative and comparing it to the original function. If they are equivalent, then your answer is likely correct. You can also use a calculator or online integral solver to verify your answer.