How to get water in air tight container w/ other specifics

In summary: I thought of was the old camping coffee pot my grandfather made according to him during WW2.It was a cylinder with one fitting that was about 1/4 of the way from the top or just below the water line. it came out and made a 90* turn up to just above the top. at the other side of the cylinder was another fitting like the first but it was about 1/4 of the way from the bottom, the pipe exited at 90* made it's way to the top and then arc'd over like a big tea spout.here's the genius in it. fill it up leaving an air space in the can but a water line in the pipes. place on the
speeddman
Let's say i have a sealed container with half water, half air, and i would like the air pressure to remain constant. how can i get a water hose to pour into this sealed air container without having the air escape up the hose?

Note* There is water leaving my container at the same rate it would be entering - so no need to worry about the water affecting the air pressure.

see attached image

also, let me know if there is a way to do so with an alternate outlet and inlet configuration

Thanks

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 691
Physics news on Phys.org
speeddman said:
Let's say i have a sealed container with half water, half air, and i would like the air pressure to remain constant. how can i get a water hose to pour into this sealed air container without having the air escape up the hose?

Note* There is water leaving my container at the same rate it would be entering - so no need to worry about the water affecting the air pressure.
Thanks

What you would need is a self-regulating way to pre-pressurize the water supply so that it matches the pressure inside the container.

This reminds me of the way that in the 1940's the frenchman Cousteau developed a diver's air supply unit, now known as scuba gear. (Until then divers on extended dives were dependent on air supply via a socalled 'umbilical'.)

In Cousteau's case a self-regulating valve system had to be devised that would reduce the pressure of the air inside the air cannisters to the pressure at the current diving depth. That is, at a depth with an ambient water pressure of 2 atmosphere the scuba gear had to offer air pressure at 2 atmosphere to the diver, and so forth.

The system that pre-pressurises the water supply for the cannister that you describe will have to do something similar.

Cleonis

If the water is coming from a valve, air will not escape up the hose*: there is nowhere for it to go.

*...in any quantity larger than the volume of the hose.

russ_watters said:
If the water is coming from a valve, air will not escape up the hose*: there is nowhere for it to go.

*...in any quantity larger than the volume of the hose.

What do i mean by "...in any quantity larger than the volume"?

I'm not sure if i understand.

so no matter what the pressure of the incoming water is, the air won't be able to escape?

Am I missing something? If the entry and exit hose are in the bottom of the container, the water can flow in and out without disturbing the bubble of air at the top of the container.

speeddman said:
What do i mean by "...in any quantity larger than the volume"?

I'm not sure if i understand.
If the water is coming from a valve, like a garden hose, the water in the garden hose can spill out into the container, depending on if the orientation of the hose allows it. You can try this at home - if you slope a garden hose, water will spill out of it after you turn it off at the faucet.
so no matter what the pressure of the incoming water is, the air won't be able to escape?
Air can't go backwards past the valve where you turn the water on.

DaveC426913 said:
Am I missing something? If the entry and exit hose are in the bottom of the container, the water can flow in and out without disturbing the bubble of air at the top of the container.
Yes, that would be a simple solution to the problem.

Ok. thank you everyone. i guess i must have been over thinking this.

I am quite glad that i stumbled across pf.

speeddman

I just tested this system. unfortunately bubbles went up my hose. the water from the hose is sitting in a container open to air. i don't know what to do

speeddman said:
I just tested this system. unfortunately bubbles went up my hose. the water from the hose is sitting in a container open to air. i don't know what to do

Go have a drink.

ummm, first thing I thought of was the old camping coffee pot my grandfather made according to him during WW2.

It was a cylinder with one fitting that was about 1/4 of the way from the top or just below the water line. it came out and made a 90* turn up to just above the top. at the other side of the cylinder was another fitting like the first but it was about 1/4 of the way from the bottom, the pipe exited at 90* made it's way to the top and then arc'd over like a big tea spout.

here's the genius in it. fill it up leaving an air space in the can but a water line in the pipes. place on the fire and once it's near a boil remove to a cooler but still hot spot of coals and when ever you need hot water, pour cold water into the top pipe and an equal amount of hot water will pour out the other pipe. no need to constantly heat water in large batches.

Hot water heaters operate under the same principle.
Ohh and I got the pipe arrangement backwards, it's been 30yrs. the cold water feeds into the lower end.

here's a quick model in solidworks for you...

Attachments

• water box.jpg
    water box.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 510
A backflow preventer is a commercial solution and they are designed to do just this. Basically, the idea is that by passing the water through an expansion valve, you create a pressure drop which will not allow fluid/air to pass back into the line. These are available for relatively cheap in a hardware store and are required on all outdoor hoses in commercial buildings to keep chemicals out of the public water supply. Also, a water trap (like is found under a kitchen sink) is designed to do the same thing. Water can pour into the sewer but gases from line cannot come back into the house. Much the same as the water heater described above.

--------------
www.cfdengineer.com

1. How can water be obtained in an air tight container?

Water can be obtained in an air tight container through a process called condensation. This involves cooling the air inside the container until the water vapor in the air turns into liquid form.

2. Will any type of air tight container work for storing water?

No, not all air tight containers are suitable for storing water. It is important to choose a container that is made of a non-porous material, such as glass or stainless steel, to prevent any leakage or contamination.

3. Can I use a vacuum-sealed container to store water?

Yes, a vacuum-sealed container can be used to store water. By removing all of the air from the container, the water will be less likely to evaporate or become contaminated.

4. How long can water be stored in an air tight container?

The length of time water can be stored in an air tight container depends on various factors such as the type of container, the quality of the water, and the storage conditions. In general, properly stored water can last for several months to a few years.

5. Is it safe to store other liquids along with water in an air tight container?

It is generally not recommended to store other liquids along with water in an air tight container. This can lead to cross-contamination and compromise the quality of the water. It is best to use separate containers for different liquids.