How to graph the duffing frequency response

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Excel and VBA code to plot the trajectory of a harmonically driven duffing oscillator for arbitrary parameters using the Runge-Kutta method. The individual would also like to plot the frequency response, but is unsure of how to do so and has been unable to find a formula to help. They mention finding equations with known variables, but are unsure of how to isolate the amplitude and graph it without doing so. They also mention the use of implicit plotting and software such as MATLAB to reproduce the curves. The conversation ends with a suggestion to look at the section "The weakly forced system: nonlinear resonance" in the Scholarpedia article on Duffing oscillator for more information.
Takuza
I`ve been able to use excel to plot the trajectory of a harmonically driven duffing oscillator for arbitrary parameters using Runge-Kutta method. I would like to do the same thing for the frequency response, but I simply can not figure out how. I am not very mathematically advanced so the first thing I did was look for a formula. I found things such as those in the attached images, where A is the amplitude which I would like to plot as a function of w (frequency) (and all other terms are knowns). But I have no idea how to make use of these equations. I don't know how to isolate the amplitude and don`t know how to graph it without isolating A.

otherequation.png

Can someone explain to me how one would plot the frequency response to a duffing oscillator ? It must be obvious, as every book I`ve read skips right over it as if it deserves no explicit explanation, but I am at a loss and have been trying for a while. Sorry if this is a dumb issue, I have no background in this area

Edit: I`ve also attached the VBA code I`m using in case that provides some insight somehow

Attachments

• equation2.png
    equation2.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,560
  • doublewell-code.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Takuza said:
I`ve been able to use excel to plot the trajectory of a harmonically driven duffing oscillator for arbitrary parameters using Runge-Kutta method. I would like to do the same thing for the frequency response, but I simply can not figure out how.
For arbitrary parameters, you will not be able to obtain a frequency response. It only makes sense in the weakly forced regime, see the section titled "The weakly forced system: nonlinear resonance" here:

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Duffing_oscillator

You may find it interesting to look at the curves in Figure 6. As you can see, their derivation is not straightforward, in the sense that it is based on a technique called "averaging".

The graph of the coordinates of the equilibria of the averaged system as a function of the angular driving frequency shows implicit curves. In other words, it will not be possible to obtain explicit expressions as a function of ##\omega##. You can use any software that can do implicit plotting (such as MATLAB) to reproduce them. Free packages written specifically for this purpose are MATCONT and AUTO, although the first one requires MATLAB.

Last edited:

1. What is the Duffing equation and what does it represent?

The Duffing equation is a second-order nonlinear differential equation that describes the motion of a damped, driven oscillator. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model a wide range of systems, including electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and biological systems.

2. How do I graph the Duffing frequency response?

To graph the Duffing frequency response, you will need to plot the amplitude of the oscillations against the frequency of the driving force. This can be done using a software program like MATLAB or by hand using the Duffing equation and a graphing calculator. It is important to vary the driving frequency over a wide range to accurately capture the system's response.

3. What factors affect the Duffing frequency response?

The Duffing frequency response is affected by several factors, including the system's initial conditions, the damping coefficient, the stiffness coefficient, and the amplitude and frequency of the driving force. These factors can be adjusted to study the effects on the system's response and to find the optimal conditions for specific applications.

4. What does the shape of the Duffing frequency response curve indicate?

The shape of the Duffing frequency response curve can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system. A narrow and tall curve indicates a resonant response, where the system is highly sensitive to a specific driving frequency. A broad and flat curve indicates a more stable response, where the system is less affected by changes in the driving frequency.

5. Can the Duffing frequency response be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Yes, the Duffing frequency response can be used to predict the behavior of a system under different conditions. By analyzing the shape and characteristics of the frequency response curve, engineers and scientists can make predictions about the system's stability, resonant frequencies, and other important properties. However, it is important to note that the Duffing equation is an approximation and may not accurately reflect the behavior of all systems.