How to Graph Trig Functions

In summary: Click on the symbol to see how it works.The first angle would be 30°, or \pi/6.If say I am to find the radians that equal 0.5 for functions 0 \leq t \leq 2\pi, then the first one is \pi/6. The rest of them are found by subtracting \pi - \pi/6 = 5\pi/6, adding \pi + \pi/6 = 7\pi/6, and subtracting 2\pi - \pi/6 = 11\pi/6.This means that there and four answers and they are \pi/6, 5\

Homework Statement

How do I input trig functions in the calculator?
An example would be cos(2t) = 0.5.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to start it.
How do I input this in? I am not sure how to input it into a graphing calculator. The equation to input it into y = ? would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want to do is solve the equation. So for that you need, some program which solves the equation, and which most probably the calculator doesn't have. If you simply want to graph the function then input: y=cos(2t) .

The 0.5 is what I am trying to find. I forgot that's what it means. So the 0.5 would actually be at what t would I get 0.5.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

If cos(2t)=0.5 then 2t=arccos(0.5). arccos (or cos^(-1)) is the inverse cosine function. Is it on your calculator? Once you have that, you know that that's not the only solution. Draw a graph of cos. There are many solutions, the arccos will only give you one. In this case though, you don't even need the calculator. There is a simple triangle you can draw with an angle in it that has a cos of 1/2.

The first angle would be 30°, or [tex]\pi[/tex]/6.

If say I am to find the radians that equal 0.5 for functions 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 2[tex]\pi[/tex], then the first one is [tex]\pi[/tex]/6. The rest of them are found by subtracting [tex]\pi[/tex] - [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 = 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/6, adding [tex]\pi[/tex] + [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 = 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6, and subtracting 2[tex]\pi[/tex] - [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 = 11[tex]\pi[/tex]/6.

This means that there and four answers and they are [tex]\pi[/tex]/6, 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/6, 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6, and 11[tex]\pi[/tex]/6.

Is this correct?

Edit: Something small and not important but is there a way to have the pi sign not look like exponents using the forum's posting ability options and not resorting to copy/pasting character map's pi? Which still looks pretty bad. π

Last edited:
Just a brief note. If your calculator can find intersections between curves you could graph the two functions y = cos(2t) and y = 0.5 and find any intersections.

312213 said:

If say I am to find the radians that equal 0.5 for functions 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 2[tex]\pi[/tex], then the first one is [tex]\pi[/tex]/6. The rest of them are found by subtracting [tex]\pi[/tex] - [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 = 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/6, adding [tex]\pi[/tex] + [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 = 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6, and subtracting 2[tex]\pi[/tex] - [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 = 11[tex]\pi[/tex]/6.

This means that there and four answers and they are [tex]\pi[/tex]/6, 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/6, 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6, and 11[tex]\pi[/tex]/6.

Is this correct?

Edit: Something small and not important but is there a way to have the pi sign not look like exponents using the forum's posting ability options and not resorting to copy/pasting character map's pi? Which still looks pretty bad. π

Yes, I think. Try [tex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]. Click on the symbol to see how it works.

312213 said:

Is this correct?

Yep, looks right to me dude

312213 said:
Something small and not important but is there a way to have the pi sign not look like exponents using the forum's posting ability options and not resorting to copy/pasting character map's pi? Which still looks pretty bad. π

Put entire expressions, not just individual symbols, in LaTex.

[tex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]
or
[tex]\pi/6[/tex]

Instead of [tex]\pi[/tex]/6

1. How do I determine the period of a trigonometric function?

To determine the period of a trigonometric function, you need to look at the coefficient of the x term. If the coefficient is 1, then the period is 2π. If the coefficient is a fraction, the period is 2π divided by the absolute value of the coefficient. If there is a number added or subtracted to the x term, you need to divide the coefficient of x by this number to get the period.

2. What is the difference between sine and cosine graphs?

Sine and cosine graphs are both trigonometric functions, but they have different shapes. The sine graph has a maximum value of 1 and a minimum value of -1, and it starts at 0. The cosine graph also has a maximum value of 1 and a minimum value of -1, but it starts at 1. The two graphs are also shifted by 90 degrees, meaning that when one graph is at its maximum, the other is at its minimum.

3. How do I determine the amplitude of a trigonometric function?

The amplitude of a trigonometric function is the distance from the midline to the maximum or minimum value of the graph. If the coefficient of the trigonometric function is a, then the amplitude is |a|.

4. How do I graph tangent and cotangent functions?

To graph tangent and cotangent functions, you can use the same process as sine and cosine graphs. However, since these functions are undefined at certain points, you will need to find the asymptotes. The asymptotes for tangent functions occur at odd multiples of π/2, and the asymptotes for cotangent functions occur at even multiples of π/2.

5. What is the difference between the graphs of secant and cosecant functions?

Secant and cosecant functions are the reciprocals of cosine and sine functions, respectively. This means that the maximum and minimum values are switched for these functions. The secant function has a maximum value of 1 and a minimum value of -1, while the cosecant function has a maximum value of -1 and a minimum value of 1. Additionally, the secant function starts at 1, and the cosecant function starts at 0.