1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate COMPLEX-valued functions?

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do we evaluate integrals of COMPLEX-valued functions (like the following)?

∫ exp[-(2+3i)x] dx

This integral is appearing in my PDE course in the topic of Fourier transform, but I have no background of how to integrate complex-valued functions. Looking back at my calculus textbook, all functions are assumed to be REAL-valued so really all theorems about integrals are not applicable in this situation...

Can I simply treat -(2+3i) as a scalar and use the exact same rules of integration from calculus? i.e. is integrating complex-valued functions exactly the same as integrating real-valued functions if we treat complex numbers as scalars?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    In this case, the fact that you have an i in your equation makes no difference at all. If the integration path has complex values, then you should use more caution; however the kind of calculations you usually want to do in a complex plane are a fair bit different from the usual kind of integrals.

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    1) I think for complex-valued functions, we need to integrate the real and imaginary parts separately, so to integrate f where f is complex-valued, we use f = Re(f) + i Im(f). Now to integrate iIm(f), can the "i" be pulled out of the integral? (i.e. can we treat "i" as a constant?)

2) Can we say that for any nonzero complex a,
    d
    ∫ eax dx
    c
    is equal to
    ead/a - eac/a ??
    (which is exactly the same as the case where a is a real number)

Do all the integration formulas for real-valued functions carry over analogously in the obvious way to the complex-valued function case?
    Are there any examples in which the real-valued formulas does not hold in the complex-valued case?

Thanks!

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4
    For a complex a

[tex] \int dx e^{ax} = \frac{1}{a} e^{ax} = \frac{a^*}{|a|^2} e^{ax}. [/tex]

You really really do not have to care at all whether a is real or not, unless ofcourse if you're asked to prove that something holds for a complex number as well.

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5
    So keeping in mind that the scalars/constants can now be complex numbers, all the formulas for integration of complex-valued functions are exactly the same as the fomrulas for integration of real-valued functions, am I right?
    So is there really no real difference between integrating real or complex valued functions? Are there any examples in which this is not the case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook