How to integrate COMPLEX-valued functions?

In summary: Thanks!For a complex a, \int dx e^{ax} = \frac{1}{a} e^{ax} = \frac{a^*}{|a|^2} e^{ax}. You really really do not have to care at all whether a is real or not, unless ofcourse if you're asked to prove that something holds for a complex number as well.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

How do we evaluate integrals of COMPLEX-valued functions (like the following)?

∫ exp[-(2+3i)x] dx

This integral is appearing in my PDE course in the topic of Fourier transform, but I have no background of how to integrate complex-valued functions. Looking back at my calculus textbook, all functions are assumed to be REAL-valued so really all theorems about integrals are not applicable in this situation...

Can I simply treat -(2+3i) as a scalar and use the exact same rules of integration from calculus? i.e. is integrating complex-valued functions exactly the same as integrating real-valued functions if we treat complex numbers as scalars?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, the fact that you have an i in your equation makes no difference at all. If the integration path has complex values, then you should use more caution; however the kind of calculations you usually want to do in a complex plane are a fair bit different from the usual kind of integrals.

1) I think for complex-valued functions, we need to integrate the real and imaginary parts separately, so to integrate f where f is complex-valued, we use f = Re(f) + i Im(f). Now to integrate iIm(f), can the "i" be pulled out of the integral? (i.e. can we treat "i" as a constant?)

2) Can we say that for any nonzero complex a,
d
∫ eax dx
c
is equal to
ead/a - eac/a ??
(which is exactly the same as the case where a is a real number)

Do all the integration formulas for real-valued functions carry over analogously in the obvious way to the complex-valued function case?
Are there any examples in which the real-valued formulas does not hold in the complex-valued case?

Thanks!

For a complex a

[tex] \int dx e^{ax} = \frac{1}{a} e^{ax} = \frac{a^*}{|a|^2} e^{ax}. [/tex]

You really really do not have to care at all whether a is real or not, unless ofcourse if you're asked to prove that something holds for a complex number as well.

clamtrox said:
For a complex a

[tex] \int dx e^{ax} = \frac{1}{a} e^{ax} = \frac{a^*}{|a|^2} e^{ax}. [/tex]

You really really do not have to care at all whether a is real or not, unless ofcourse if you're asked to prove that something holds for a complex number as well.

So keeping in mind that the scalars/constants can now be complex numbers, all the formulas for integration of complex-valued functions are exactly the same as the fomrulas for integration of real-valued functions, am I right?
So is there really no real difference between integrating real or complex valued functions? Are there any examples in which this is not the case?

1. What are complex-valued functions?

Complex-valued functions are mathematical functions that have both a real and imaginary component. They can be represented as f(x) = u(x) + iv(x), where u(x) and v(x) are real-valued functions and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you integrate complex-valued functions?

Integrating complex-valued functions involves treating the real and imaginary parts separately. This means that the integral of a complex-valued function f(x) is equal to the integral of its real part u(x) and the integral of its imaginary part v(x), both with respect to the same variable.

3. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation and how is it related to integrating complex-valued functions?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a set of conditions that must be satisfied by a function to be considered complex differentiable. These conditions involve the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of the function. When integrating complex-valued functions, these conditions can help determine if the function is analytic (and therefore can be integrated using traditional methods) or if other techniques are necessary.

4. Can complex integration be done using traditional methods?

In some cases, complex integration can be done using traditional methods, such as integration by parts or using substitution. However, for more complex functions, specialized techniques such as contour integration or Cauchy's integral theorem may be necessary.

5. Are there any applications of integrating complex-valued functions?

Integrating complex-valued functions has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, in signal processing, complex integration is used to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. In electrical engineering, it is used to solve problems related to alternating currents and impedance. In physics, it is used to solve problems related to quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.