How to integrate int ydx + zdy over a helix?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a definite integral involving a helix equation with limits from 0 to pi. The resulting answer is 3(pi)/2 but the correct answer should be 3 pi. There may have been a typo in the problem or the teacher made a mistake.
i2837856393

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex]ydx + zdy
C

where C is the part of the helix r(t)=(sin t)(i) + (cos t)(j) + t(k)
and 0 < t < pi (those should be greater than or equal to signs)

[tex]\int[/tex](cost)(cost)-t(sint)
[tex]\int[/tex](1+cos 2t)/2 - t sint
with limits from zero to pi.

this then equaled to
1/2t + (sin 2t)/4 + tcost -sin t

and this gave me the answer 3(pi)/2
but the answer should be 3 pi..
can anyone else solve this and check please or tell me where i went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your indefinite integral. But if i put the limits in I get -pi/2. That's still not 3*pi...? Is there a typo in the problem?

Last edited:
i'm sorry you're right...
that should be pi/2 - pi which is -pi/2
i accidentally added them...
yea. then you and i are in agreement. i guess the teacher made a mistake. I've spent hours and this was the only solution i came to.

1. What is a helix?

A helix is a three-dimensional curve that is formed when a straight line is wrapped around a cylindrical surface at a constant angle and distance.

2. How do you represent a helix mathematically?

A helix can be represented mathematically using parametric equations, such as x = a cos(t), y = a sin(t), and z = bt, where a and b are constants and t is the parameter that determines the position along the helix.

3. What does it mean to integrate over a helix?

Integrating over a helix means finding the area under a specific function as it varies along the helix curve. This involves finding the limits of integration and using appropriate integration techniques.

4. How do you integrate int ydx + zdy over a helix?

To integrate int ydx + zdy over a helix, you first need to parameterize the curve using the parametric equations for a helix. Then, you can use the appropriate integration technique, such as line or surface integration, to find the area under the given function along the helix curve.

5. What are the applications of integrating over a helix?

Integrating over a helix can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to find the center of mass of a helical object, calculate the work done by a force along a helix path, or determine the volume of a helical structure.