How to know when to relate the tangents (Divide components)

• Thread starter Cake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to divide components of two vectors together to relate tangents, and the frustration of the speaker in trying to understand this concept. The solution involves basic algebra and taking a few steps to solve for the unknown variable.
Cake

Homework Statement

What ques does one need to recognize they need to divide components of two vectors together to "relate the tangents?"

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I've seen this come up a LOT in the semester-dividing components or sums of components together to work out an equation in terms of tangents and to eliminate variables. The thing is my professor and the book we're using don't explain this, and when it's used nobody elaborates. Getting my professor to respond to a question results in a "google it" response. So tell me what I'm missing guys. When are you even supposed to use this trick.

I know there needs to be some indication of work, but all I can say is I've googled, asked around, and done plenty of logistics trying to figure this out, and it's too frustrating to continue on my own.

If you're wondering how I've gotten this far into the semester without knowing this, it hasn't come up on tests, only on one or two homework assignments. But it bugs me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cake said:

Homework Statement

What ques does one need to recognize they need to divide components of two vectors together to "relate the tangents?"

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I've seen this come up a LOT in the semester-dividing components or sums of components together to work out an equation in terms of tangents and to eliminate variables. The thing is my professor and the book we're using don't explain this, and when it's used nobody elaborates. Getting my professor to respond to a question results in a "google it" response. So tell me what I'm missing guys. When are you even supposed to use this trick.

I know there needs to be some indication of work, but all I can say is I've googled, asked around, and done plenty of logistics trying to figure this out, and it's too frustrating to continue on my own.

If you're wondering how I've gotten this far into the semester without knowing this, it hasn't come up on tests, only on one or two homework assignments. But it bugs me.
How about giving a specific example ?

Alright so, let's say I've got an inelastic collision in two dimensions. Equal mass cars. One is traveling east at 13 m/s, the other north at an unknown speed. When they collide they bounce off together at a 55 degree angle. The solution looks something like this:

##p_y=mv_?=2mv_f sin(55)##
##p_x=13m=2mv_f cos(55)##
[book notes to divide these without justification]
##\frac {v} {13} = tan (55)##
##v=41.5 mi/hr##

Edit: Fixed units

Last edited:
Cake said:
Alright so, let's say I've got an inelastic collision in two dimensions. Equal mass cars. One is traveling east at 13 m/s, the other north at an unknown speed. When they collide they bounce off together at a 55 degree angle. The solution looks something like this:

##p_y=mv_?=2mv_f sin(55)##
##p_x=13m=2mv_f cos(55)##
[book notes to divide these without justification]
##\frac {v} {13} = tan (55)##
##v=41.5 m/s##
It's basic algebra.

Essentially you are saying ##13m=2mv_f \cos(55^\circ)##, so the left side is the same thing as the right side, at least numerically..

Then all you're doing in this method is dividing both sides of the first equation by the same thing.You can get the same result by taking a few more steps.

Solve the first equation for ##\ \sin(55^\circ\,,\ ## and solve the second for ##\ \cos(55^\circ\ . ##

Then get ##\ \tan(55^\circ,\ ## by dividing the two results.

SammyS said:
It's basic algebra.

Essentially you are saying ##13m=2mv_f \cos(55^\circ)##, so the left side is the same thing as the right side, at least numerically..

Then all you're doing in this method is dividing both sides of the first equation by the same thing.You can get the same result by taking a few more steps.

Solve the first equation for ##\ \sin(55^\circ\,,\ ## and solve the second for ##\ \cos(55^\circ\ . ##

Then get ##\ \tan(55^\circ,\ ## by dividing the two results.
That's so obnoxiously simple. Thank you though.

1. How do I know when to use the tangent function?

The tangent function is typically used when dealing with right triangles and determining the relationship between the lengths of the sides and the angles of the triangle. It is also used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. What is the relationship between the tangent function and division of components?

The tangent function is essentially a ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side of a right triangle. When dividing components, we are essentially finding the ratio or relationship between two quantities. Therefore, the tangent function is often used in solving problems involving division of components.

3. Can I use the tangent function to divide any two components?

No, the tangent function is only applicable to right triangles. If you are trying to divide components in a different type of shape or scenario, you will need to use a different mathematical approach.

4. How can I determine the tangent of an angle?

You can use a scientific calculator or table to find the tangent of an angle. Simply enter the angle in degrees or radians and press the tangent button on your calculator. Alternatively, you can use the formula "opposite/adjacent" to manually calculate the tangent.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using the tangent function to divide components?

One common mistake is forgetting to label your sides correctly when setting up the tangent function. Always make sure the opposite and adjacent sides are correctly identified, as this will affect the accuracy of your calculation. Additionally, be careful when using a calculator to ensure that you are in the correct mode (degrees or radians) when finding the tangent of an angle.