How to magnetize a concrete wall?

In summary, there is no way to get electric current to flow trough concrete. Even if you could, the magnetic field generated by the current would disappear once you stopped. The concrete is never magnetized.
oem7110
As we know that concrete is an insulator, but if I apply extremely high voltage through this concrete at a certain level, the concrete's property may become semi-conductor. In this way, will it be possible to magnetize a concrete wall using an extremely high voltage in this way?
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a "true" insulator because at a high enough voltage everything becomes a conductor. You would need a ridiculously high voltage for the concrete to conduct even a miniscule current. Even then the concrete won't become magnetized because the magnetic field is being generated by the electric current flowing through the concrete. As soon as the current stops the magnetic field goes away. Go read up on electricity and magnetism before you ask any more bizarre questions.

Dr_Morbius said:
There is no such thing as a "true" insulator because at a high enough voltage everything becomes a conductor. You would need a ridiculously high voltage for the concrete to conduct even a miniscule current. Even then the concrete won't become magnetized because the magnetic field is being generated by the electric current flowing through the concrete. As soon as the current stops the magnetic field goes away. Go read up on electricity and magnetism before you ask any more bizarre questions.

Magnetic field can magnetize any ordinary metal as shown on below video, if magnetic field is being generated by electric current flowing through the concrete, and concrete may contains any metal substance within its components, it should also be magnetized in this way, isn't it?

Does anyone have any suggestions on any mis-concept within my statement?
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA3yCjjbG-0&feature=related

Last edited:
oem7110 said:
As we know that concrete is an insulator, but if I apply extremely high voltage through this concrete at a certain level, the concrete's property may become semi-conductor. In this way, will it be possible to magnetize a concrete wall using an extremely high voltage in this way?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Is this a theoretical or practical question? In other words, what are you trying to do? Are you considering making a magnetic concrete wall, perhaps?
Concrete is a mixture containing what's called an aggregate. You could use pieces of steel for the aggregate, or you could pre-position magnets in yet-to-cure concrete. Using one of these methods, you could make a magnetic concrete wall.

Nehmo said:
Concrete is a mixture containing what's called an aggregate. You could use pieces of steel for the aggregate, or you could pre-position magnets in yet-to-cure concrete. Using one of these methods, you could make a magnetic concrete wall.

Concrete contains sand too, which depends on where you live. Sand can contain quartz, magnetite, olivine, feldspar, obsidian, pieces of coral, shells, or dead sea organisms.

So in general, can I conclude that concrete wall can be magnetized if there is high enough electric current flowing through the concrete?

You can't magnetize regular concrete.

And here you are again, arguing for the sake of arguing. Will you ever start listening to the answers given.

James Leighe said:
You can't magnetize regular concrete.

Can you explain little more please?

if magnetic field is being generated by electric current flowing through the concrete, and concrete may contains any metal substance within its components, it should also be magnetized in this way, isn't it? It is possible, isn't it?

Of course.

There is no way to get electric current to flow trough concrete.

Even if you could, the magnetic field generated by the current would disappear once you stopped. The concrete is never magnetized.

oem7110, Yes, I do have "Does anyone have any suggestions on any mis-concept within my statement?"

Ordinary concrete is an insulator...that means you CANNOT pass an electric current through it. If you increase the voltage the concrete does NOT become a semiconductor as you wrote in the OP. So, accept (and obey) the laws of physics: you CANNOT magnetize a concrete wall.

Now, if you make concrete with metallic materials, magnets, etc. you change the above statements because it would not be "Ordinary concrete".

Bobbywhy said:
oem7110, Yes, I do have "Does anyone have any suggestions on any mis-concept within my statement?"

Ordinary concrete is an insulator...that means you CANNOT pass an electric current through it. If you increase the voltage the concrete does NOT become a semiconductor as you wrote in the OP. So, accept (and obey) the laws of physics: you CANNOT magnetize a concrete wall.

Now, if you make concrete with metallic materials, magnets, etc. you change the above statements because it would not be "Ordinary concrete".

If lighting from Thunder hits the concrete wall, how can it be grounded if you assume that ordinary concrete is an insulator? it does not seem making any sense, isn't it? so how can I accept or obey the laws of physics from your interpretation?

Lighting very rarely strikes concrete since it's such a good insulator and it would rather go somewhere else.

When it does it causes the concrete to explode from the heat generated (the entrapped moisture expands). In theory, you can get current to pass through concrete, but it takes so much voltage that it will explode, making it completely impossible in practice.

You really like concrete!

(also, lighting doesn't come from thunder, it's the other way around)

EDIT: I would also like to point out that the concrete really isn't 'grounded', it's just busting through the concrete to get to something that is / the ground itself.

James Leighe said:
When it does it causes the concrete to explode from the heat generated (the entrapped moisture expands). In theory, you can get current to pass through concrete, but it takes so much voltage that it will explode, making it completely impossible in practice.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that the concrete really isn't 'grounded', it's just busting through the concrete to get to something that is / the ground itself.

Thanks you for your interpretation, you are talking about physics now from your interpretation, so if there is no chance to get current passing through concrete before it explodes, there is no way to magnetize a concrete, right?

Thanks everyone very much for suggestions

No seems to have mentioned that many concrete structures are reinforced with Steel. That could change things a bit, in practice. It could explain how a particular concrete wall has been magnetised.

James Leighe said:
No, there is no way to magnetize concrete because it's not magnetic.
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetism#Sources_of_magnetism

Not everything can be magnetized.

What about radiation from space? Would radiation change the property of reinforced concrete with Steel? Radiation can get through concrete without breaking it and reach the steel. Can steel be magnetized this way? furthermore, Can concrete be magnetized by radiation?

sophiecentaur said:
No seems to have mentioned that many concrete structures are reinforced with Steel. That could change things a bit, in practice. It could explain how a particular concrete wall has been magnetised.

Thank you very much for your suggestions

We're too much into the realms of Science Fiction here. IFFFF there is steel reinforcing in concrete, it could possibly have become magnetised during electric welding. There are some heavy currents involved and that could generate a small magnetic field which could magnetise the steel.

There is no point in repeating the question about concrete becoming magnetised. The answer won't change.
What mechanism did you have in mind whereby this 'radiation' from space could magnetise ANYTHING? Are we talking Radio Frequency Radiation, Infra Red, Light, UV ? Magic rays (straight from the 1930s)?

If you want a Science discussion then you need to be Scientific!

sophiecentaur said:
We're too much into the realms of Science Fiction here. IFFFF there is steel reinforcing in concrete, it could possibly have become magnetised during electric welding. There are some heavy currents involved and that could generate a small magnetic field which could magnetise the steel. [Good Points]

If you want a Science discussion then you need to be Scientific!

OK, let focus on heavy currents only, during the thunderstorm, there are many positive charges on the ground, please see following images, could this charges magnetize the steel within concrete? the positive charges can easily get through concrete with no problem.

Do you have any suggestions?

cloud_charge.jpg

could this charges magnetize the steel within concrete?
No.
the positive charges can easily get through concrete with no problem.
Incorrect.

A lighting strike could in theory magnetize steel however.

EDIT: Make sure you read and understood that link I gave you, it will help you tremendously.

James Leighe said:
A lighting strike could in theory magnetize steel however. [Good Points]

EDIT: Make sure you read and understood that link I gave you, it will help you tremendously.

Could you please briefly describe more on how lighting strike magnetizes steel? what is happening during this process? Furthermore, once the steel get magnetized from lighting strike, will this magnetic property be faded as time go by?

oem7110 said:
Once the steel get magnetized from lighting strike, will this magnetic property be faded as time go by?

Not really no, it will remain magnetic for quite a while.

oem7110 said:
Could you please briefly describe more on how lighting strike magnetizes steel? what is happening during this process?

It will align some of the magnetic domains present in the metal.

Please read the link I gave you, it would have answered all of these questions.

@OEM
Charges do not cause a magnetic field. MOVING charges (=Current) produce a magnetic field. Heavy current pulses can flow during a lightning strikes.

If you want a chance of understanding any of this then there are certain 'rules' that apply in Physics / Science. All the terms mean something specific and you need to use them correctly and to be careful when you interpret what someone tells you. You must use Charge, Current Magnetic field etc. consistently so that we're all reading from the same hymn sheet.
A french person will laugh at you (they can be very intolerant, at times) and cannot be at all helpful if you don't use the right vocabulary when asking for the way to the station. Same with Science - vocabulary really does count. It's not just B/S.

James Leighe said:
Not really no, it will remain magnetic for quite a while.

Once steel gets magnetized, will it be no easy way to remove this magnetic property without using a thousand degrees fahrenheit? right?

Thanks everyone very much for suggestions

oem7110 said:
Once steel gets magnetized, will it be no easy way to remove this magnetic property without using a thousand degrees fahrenheit? right?

Correct.

There are some complicated and expensive ways to try and demagnetize objects but only like NASA uses those.

EDIT: This turns out to not be completely true, as alternating magnetic fields applied about the object can do the job.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
@OEM
Charges do not cause a magnetic field. MOVING charges (=Current) produce a magnetic field. Heavy current pulses can flow during a lightning strikes.

If you want a chance of understanding any of this then there are certain 'rules' that apply in Physics / Science. All the terms mean something specific and you need to use them correctly and to be careful when you interpret what someone tells you. You must use Charge, Current Magnetic field etc. consistently so that we're all reading from the same hymn sheet.
A french person will laugh at you (they can be very intolerant, at times) and cannot be at all helpful if you don't use the right vocabulary when asking for the way to the station. Same with Science - vocabulary really does count. It's not just B/S.

So if I can generate some heavy current pulses into the wall, can I magnetize the reinforce concrete wall this way? Could you please tell me more about the general requirement of heavy current pulses? What heavy current pulses do on steel during this process?

In this world, because you guys are so nice, so many people from different background can understand and apply physics more.

Thank everyone very much for suggestions

oem7110 said:
So if I can generate some heavy current pulses into the wall, can I
magnetize the reinforce concrete wall this way?

You can send current through and magnetize steel, so if the steel was sticking out on at least two ends you could send current through it to magnetize it.

If the steel was fully embedded in concrete, you could place a strong magnet near it and the steel would gain some small amount of magnetism.

I'm going to suggest again that you read the link I gave you.

EDIT: *waits with bated breath for next concrete related magnetism question*

Last edited:
James Leighe said:
You can send current through and magnetize steel, so if the steel was sticking out on at least two ends you could send current through it to magnetize it.

If the steel was fully embedded in concrete, you could place a strong magnet near it and the steel would gain some small amount of magnetism.

I'm going to suggest again that you read the link I gave you.

A current 'through' the steel would not magnetise it - you need the current to be at right angles to the steel you want to magnetise.

Producing a high enough magnetic field around your steel rods (assuming there are, in fact, rods in there!) is not too easy. You would need to make an electromagnet with a large diameter coil round a big lump of iron and pass a heavy current through it for a while. A car battery would give you a few hundred amps, briefly, but you would have the problem of coil resistance. You want as many turns as possible of as thick cable you can afford - only, perhaps, to find that the result is not enough for what you wanted. It could turn out to be seriously heavy engineering.

Is this for a plot line in a book!? It sounds a bit like it could be.

sophiecentaur said:
A current 'through' the steel would not magnetise it - you need the current to be at right angles to the steel you want to magnetise.

Assuming the reinforcing steel is in a grid pattern would it not magnetize the bars that are perpendicular to the path of the current?

I guess that's generally a bad assumption anyhow.

Good point but they are each 'radial' to each other. I don't think the field pattern would be optimal.

sophiecentaur said:
... you need the current to be at right angles to the steel you want to magnetise.

During a lightning strike, it seems no way to let the heavy current pulses flow at right angles to the steel in order to magnetise it, because steel is covered with concrete.
Will the requirement to magnetise steel be different during a lightning strike?

oem7110 said:
During a lightning strike, it seems no way to let the heavy current pulses flow at right angles to the steel in order to magnetise it, because steel is covered with concrete.

Pretty correct.

But it's possible that the lightning could blow through the concrete, then travel along the internal steel rods into the ground leaving some amount of magnetism.

James Leighe said:
Pretty correct.

But it's possible that the lightning could blow through the concrete, then travel along the internal steel rods into the ground leaving some amount of magnetism.

What if the heavy current pulses hit the ground, grass, tree, soil whatever, and the current pulses pass through moisted soil connected with the exposed steel under the ground, which can be reached at right angle, would it be look practical for steel to get magnetized in this way? Does anyone know whether the steel within the concrete wall exposed into the soil or not during building the foundation?

Last edited:
oem7110 said:
What if the heavy current pulses hit the ground, grass, tree, soil whatever, and pass through moisted soil connected with the exposed steel under the ground, which can be reached at right angle, would it be look practical for steel to get magnetized in real life?

No.

If lighting struck near the steel, but not on it, current would not flow through the steel and there wold be no chance of the steel becoming magnetized.

EDIT: Unless... and now we are getting even more far fetched... The lightning struck a bar of metal near the wall, which in turn would magnetized the steel inside the wall slightly.

Really just having the lighting strike near the wall might induce a tiny field into the steel as well I suppose.

But not a practical / noticeable field.

Last edited: