How to Make a Delicious Pie Crust

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter r12214001
  • Start date
In summary: NH3 still there is a small amount of NH4+ - 0.00424 M and 0.00164 M for 1M and 15 M total ammonia respectively*. So as strong base is added these small amounts are deprotonated particularly within the first small amounts added and the Δ[OH-] < Δ[Na+]. That is like buffering, but this is not what we normally think of as buffering, or if it is it is by buffer of very low concentration.*(These concentrations are calculated from the approximate equation ##\left[ OH^{-}\right] =\sqrt {N_{T}K_{b}}##. A more exact calculation
r12214001
Homework Statement
Calculate [OH- ] in a solution obtained by adding 0.0100 mol
solid NaOH to 1.00 L of 15.0 M NH3 .
Relevant Equations
Is the solution manual goes wrong? Or I am confused by my self? please educate me
1576831848428.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Initial is a theoretical state before the reaction started. Note that in such cases it typically doesn't matter in what order we mix reagents, nor what were the intermediate states. In the end the equilibrium is always the same.

Likes Lord Jestocost
It's a good question. I could not read the student's solution but my first calculation gave me exactly the same result as his so we must have been thinking the same.

Generic thoughts that are usually valid but not quite in this case are: if you get quadratics in a problem of this kind it is because you have overlooked some simplifying approximation; or that buffering power is maximum at pH = pKa (= 9.255) while here we are far away and on the very edge where buffering power is in principle zero (the pH of 15 M ammonia solution is 12.21). But actually normal thoughts about buffering are a bit out of place here because normally we would be thinking about what happens when we add strong acid to an ammonia solution not strong base.

The precise error is we both assumed that the molarity (0.01 M) of added NaOH equal the increase of [OH-] which is not quite right in the precise conditions (high ammonia concentration, low amount of added Na+). But what is happening is that while a high concentration of ammonia solution is mostly NH3 still there is a small amount of NH4+ - 0.00424 M and 0.00164 M for 1M and 15 M total ammonia respectively*. So as strong base is added these small amounts are deprotonated particularly within the first small amounts added and the Δ[OH-] < Δ[Na+]. That is like buffering, but this is not what we normally think of as buffering, or if it is it is by buffer of very low concentration.

*(These concentrations are calculated from the approximate equation ##\left[ OH^{-}\right] =\sqrt {N_{T}K_{b}}##. A more exact calculation is solving the quadratic below for [Na+] = 0, but the two agree to the third decimal place.)

Thus solving the quadratic (which we don't really need to do, see below)
$$x^{2}+x\left( K_{b}-\left[ Na^{+}\right] \right) -K_{b}\left( N_{T}+\left[ Na^{+}\right] \right) =0$$
where NT is total concentration of the weak base and ##x## is [OH-], we find that on adding 0.01 M NaOH Δ[OH-] = 0.0072 < 0.01. This pseudobuffering soon runs out: on a second such addition Δ[OH-] = 0.0093 and on a third 0.00973, pretty close to the NaOH added. At that point pH = 12.49 by the way, everything here is happening in a small pH range. At !5 M ammonia I calculate for the first ∆[Na+] of 0.01, ∆[OH-] is as low as 0.0057, an appreciable pseudobuffering effect for the somewhat special and narrow-range conditions chosen.

I take it as understood how the quadratic equation above is derived from the equilibrium equation, a mass conservation equation and an 'electroneutrality' condition with the excellent approximation ##\left[ H^{+}\right] =0##. For understanding and even most quantitative solutions this quadratic is not that necessary nor helpful and better for understanding is its inverse

$$\left[ Na^{+}\right] =x+\dfrac {K_{b}N_{T}}{x+K_{b}}$$
Here the corresponding curves for NT = 1 (blue) and 15 M (purple).
(Vertical co-ordinate [Na+], horizontal distances between any two points represent Δ[OH-] - note that pure ammonia solution [OH-] is that where the curve for the corresponding NT intersects the abscissa.)
fullsizeoutput_12f3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_12f6.jpeg

We see that after an early deviation they soon approximate to the line [Na+] = ##x##, more slowly with the massive 15 M concentration.

Talking of which all this this is all very well for fine understanding of our equations, but I would think at 15 M ammonia the dielectric constant of the solution would have changed the given Kb quite a lot from the one given, that will have been determined in a more dilute solutoon.

Attachments

• 76084C93-6EC2-4A0E-86C7-8E8EFF686B7C.png
    76084C93-6EC2-4A0E-86C7-8E8EFF686B7C.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Likes r12214001 and etotheipi
epenguin said:
It's a good question. I could not read the student's solution but my first calculation gave me exactly the same result as his so we must have been thinking the same.

Generic thoughts that are usually valid but not quite in this case are: if you get quadratics in a problem of this kind it is because you have overlooked some simplifying approximation; or that buffering power is maximum at pH = pKa (= 9.255) while here we are far away and on the very edge where buffering power is in principle zero (the pH of 15 M ammonia solution is 12.21). But actually normal thoughts about buffering are a bit out of place here because normally we would be thinking about what happens when we add strong acid to an ammonia solution not strong base.

The precise error is we both assumed that the molarity (0.01 M) of added NaOH equal the increase of [OH-] which is not quite right in the precise conditions (high ammonia concentration, low amount of added Na+). But what is happening is that while a high concentration of ammonia solution is mostly NH3 still there is a small amount of NH4+ - 0.00424 M and 0.00164 M for 1M and 15 M total ammonia respectively*. So as strong base is added these small amounts are deprotonated particularly within the first small amounts added and the Δ[OH-] < Δ[Na+]. That is like buffering, but this is not what we normally think of as buffering, or if it is it is by buffer of very low concentration.

*(These concentrations are calculated from the approximate equation ##\left[ OH^{-}\right] =\sqrt {N_{T}K_{b}}##. A more exact calculation is solving the quadratic below for [Na+] = 0, but the two agree to the third decimal place.)

Thus solving the quadratic (which we don't really need to do, see below)
$$x^{2}+x\left( K_{b}-\left[ Na^{+}\right] \right) -K_{b}\left( N_{T}+\left[ Na^{+}\right] \right) =0$$
where NT is total concentration of the weak base and ##x## is [OH-], we find that on adding 0.01 M NaOH Δ[OH-] = 0.0072 < 0.01. This pseudobuffering soon runs out: on a second such addition Δ[OH-] = 0.0093 and on a third 0.00973, pretty close to the NaOH added. At that point pH = 12.49 by the way, everything here is happening in a small pH range. At !5 M ammonia I calculate for the first ∆[Na+] of 0.01, ∆[OH-] is as low as 0.0057, an appreciable pseudobuffering effect for the somewhat special and narrow-range conditions chosen.

I take it as understood how the quadratic equation above is derived from the equilibrium equation, a mass conservation equation and an 'electroneutrality' condition with the excellent approximation ##\left[ H^{+}\right] =0##. For understanding and even most quantitative solutions this quadratic is not that necessary nor helpful and better for understanding is its inverse

$$\left[ Na^{+}\right] =x+\dfrac {K_{b}N_{T}}{x+K_{b}}$$
Here the corresponding curves for NT = 1 (blue) and 15 M (purple).
(Vertical co-ordinate [Na+], horizontal distances between any two points represent Δ[OH-] - note that pure ammonia solution [OH-] is that where the curve for the corresponding NT intersects the abscissa.)View attachment 255471

View attachment 255476

We see that after an early deviation they soon approximate to the line [Na+] = ##x##, more slowly with the massive 15 M concentration.

Talking of which all this this is all very well for fine understanding of our equations, but I would think at 15 M ammonia the dielectric constant of the solution would have changed the given Kb quite a lot from the one given, that will have been determined in a more dilute solutoon.
Being surprised with tour detailed inteprenetion TKS

1. How do I make a flaky pie crust?

To make a flaky pie crust, start with cold ingredients and work quickly. Cut cold butter into small cubes and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix it into the flour. The small chunks of butter will melt while baking, creating flaky layers in the crust.

2. Can I use a food processor to make pie crust?

Yes, you can use a food processor to make pie crust. However, make sure to pulse the dough and not overmix it. Overmixing can lead to a tough crust. Also, chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out.

3. How much water should I add to my pie crust?

The amount of water needed for a pie crust can vary depending on the recipe, but a general rule of thumb is to add just enough water to bring the dough together. Too much water can make the crust tough, so start with a small amount and add more if needed.

4. Should I use salted or unsalted butter for pie crust?

It is recommended to use unsalted butter for pie crust so you can control the amount of salt in the dough. However, if you only have salted butter, you can reduce the amount of added salt in the recipe.

5. How long should I blind bake my pie crust?

The time for blind baking a pie crust can vary depending on the recipe, but a general guideline is to bake it for 15-20 minutes at 375°F. After baking, remove the pie weights or beans and continue baking for an additional 5-10 minutes until the crust is lightly golden brown.