How to make a function continuous

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to finding the limit of a function and determining if it is continuous at a certain point. The process involves simplifying the function and plugging in the value of the point in question. The final answer is 4 and the function g(x) is defined as equal to f(x) for all values of x except 4, and equal to 2 + √x when x = 4. The function has a removable discontinuity at x = √2.
ammsa

Homework Statement

consider the function f(x) = (4 - x) / (2 - [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]). define a new function g(x) = f(x) for all x except 4 and such g(x) is continuous at 4.

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the limit of the f(x) when x approches 4 and i got 4 as the final answer.
here's how i did it,

1) (4-x) / (2 - [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] )
2) (2 + [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]) (2 - [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]) / (2 - [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex])
3) (2 + [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex])
4) when we plug in 4 in the equation (2 + [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]), we get
(2 + [tex]\sqrt{4}[/tex]) = 4

so, g(x) = f(x) when x [tex]\neq[/tex] 4
and = (2 + [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]) when x = 4
now my question is is my way of approching this problem correct, and is my answer correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say your way of approaching the problem is correct, since it got the correct answer.

hi ammsa! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)

yup, your steps 1) to 4) are perfect :approve:

(but in the last line it would be simpler to say "g(x) = 4 when x = 4")

By the way, we would say that the function
[tex]f(x)= \frac{x- 4}{x- \sqrt{2}}[/tex]
has a 'removable' discontinuity at [itex]x= \sqrt{2}[/itex]. That is why it was possible to make it continuous.

It is also correct that the [itex]g(x)= x+ \sqrt{2}[/itex] is NOT the same function as f.

Some people make the mistake of writing
[tex]\frac{x-4}{x-\sqrt{2}}= \frac{(x-\sqrt{2})(x+\sqrt{2})}{x- \sqrt{2}}= x+ \sqrt{2}[/tex]
but that last inequality is only true for [itex]x\ne \sqrt{2}[/itex]and not for all x.

1. How do I make a function continuous?

To make a function continuous, you need to ensure that there are no breaks or gaps in the graph of the function. This means that the limit of the function from both the left and right side of a point should be equal.

2. What is the importance of continuity in a function?

Continuity is important in a function because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the function. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and can be used in various mathematical calculations.

3. Can a function be continuous at only one point?

No, a function cannot be continuous at only one point. For a function to be continuous, it must be continuous at every point in its domain. This means that the limit of the function must exist at every point and be equal from both the left and right side.

4. What are the different types of discontinuities in a function?

There are three types of discontinuities in a function: removable, jump, and infinite. A removable discontinuity occurs when there is a hole in the graph of the function, a jump discontinuity occurs when there is a sudden jump or gap in the graph, and an infinite discontinuity occurs when the function approaches infinity or negative infinity at a certain point.

5. How do I determine if a function is continuous at a specific point?

To determine if a function is continuous at a specific point, you can use the continuity theorem which states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal from both the left and right side. You can also graph the function and look for any breaks or gaps in the graph to determine discontinuities.