How to make a pressurized tank

• Thread starter kateman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to create a DIY pressurized tank to test the waterproof capabilities of a watch. Suggestions include using a tall cylinder, using mercury or carbonated beverage to simulate water pressure, and utilizing tap water pressure as a source. The conversation also mentions the potential risks and precautions involved in this DIY project.
kateman
Hi everyone, lately I have been wondering how I could make a pressurized tank to test how waterproof my watch is - I am not keen to pressurize air, I figure it would be safer doing it with water. Any idea how you could do this DIY style at home?

The best I could come up with is a tall cylinder, but I was interested about machinery I could use to help boost the pressure inside a safe material - anyone out there tried doing this or something similar?

Engineering news on Phys.org
LOL, terrible suggestion here:

1 inch depth of mercury = 13 inches depth of water.

You can compactify your research by a factor of 13, so your tank requirement is much easier. You can simulate a depth of almost 100 feet in your 8 foot high living room without a pressure pump.

Here is a little more practical idea:

drill a hole in a lid from a sturdy jar. install pressure gauge.

put watch in sturdy jar, fill jar with your favorite clear carbonated beverage.

seal jar.

shake, and watch pressure gauge and watch for leakage.
(wear goggles!)

The water pressure in your pipes must be at least 50 psi, there's your pressure source. For the container, get some PVC from a hardware store (rated for pressure).

thanks Tasp77 and Q_Goest - interesting ideas. I like the idea of carbonation, and of the tap water pressure, but here in Australia we've just come out of a drought and the pressure in our taps has been reduced where I live to save water.
Cheers!

Related to How to make a pressurized tank

1. How does a pressurized tank work?

A pressurized tank works by containing a substance, such as gas or liquid, at a higher pressure than its surrounding environment. This higher pressure creates a force that can be used to power machinery or perform other tasks.

2. What materials are commonly used to make pressurized tanks?

Some common materials used to make pressurized tanks include steel, aluminum, and composite materials. The material chosen depends on the type of substance being contained and the desired strength and durability of the tank.

3. What steps are involved in making a pressurized tank?

The process of making a pressurized tank typically involves designing the tank, choosing the appropriate materials, fabricating the tank, and testing it for safety and functionality. The tank must also be properly sealed to prevent any leaks or ruptures.

4. How do you calculate the required pressure for a pressurized tank?

The required pressure for a pressurized tank can be calculated by considering factors such as the desired flow rate of the substance, the volume of the tank, and the desired pressure at the outlet. Additionally, the type of substance being contained and its properties can also affect the required pressure.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when making a pressurized tank?

When making a pressurized tank, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations. This may include wearing appropriate protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and using proper tools and equipment. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the tank to ensure its continued safe operation.