Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make a pressurized tank

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone, lately I have been wondering how I could make a pressurized tank to test how waterproof my watch is - I am not keen to pressurize air, I figure it would be safer doing it with water. Any idea how you could do this DIY style at home?

The best I could come up with is a tall cylinder, but I was interested about machinery I could use to help boost the pressure inside a safe material - anyone out there tried doing this or something similar?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2
    LOL, terrible suggestion here:

1 inch depth of mercury = 13 inches depth of water.

You can compactify your research by a factor of 13, so your tank requirement is much easier. You can simulate a depth of almost 100 feet in your 8 foot high living room without a pressure pump.

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3
    Here is a little more practical idea:

drill a hole in a lid from a sturdy jar. install pressure gauge.

put watch in sturdy jar, fill jar with your favorite clear carbonated beverage.

seal jar.

shake, and watch pressure gauge and watch for leakage.

(wear goggles!!)

5. Aug 19, 2011 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The water pressure in your pipes must be at least 50 psi, there's your pressure source. For the container, get some PVC from a hardware store (rated for pressure).

6. Aug 21, 2011 #5
    thanks Tasp77 and Q_Goest - interesting ideas. I like the idea of carbonation, and of the tap water pressure, but here in Australia we've just come out of a drought and the pressure in our taps has been reduced where I live to save water.
    Cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook