How to measure and control the torque of a motor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
danielmg96
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I have a motor with no information, not even a label, just the connectors, I was wondering if there was a way to measure its power and if there was a way to control it without affecting it's velocity, I possesses simple elements, some sensors (inductive) and a manometer, my brain is now dry, thanks.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi danielmg96. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Do the connectors hint at what voltage source you may connect the motor to?

With the motor not connected to any voltage, can you easily turn the rotor using one hand?

Can you photograph the motor, along with a box of matches for scale, and post it here. You have given no hint at whether you have something like a slot car motor, or the motor out of a washing machine.

What do you mean by controlling the motor without affecting its speed? What characteristic would you like to control?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is a 24VDC, fits in my hand, I'd like to change its torque, forgot to mention it is a 2hp motor and I really need to change it to 1/3 hp permanently
 
danielmg96 said:
Well, it is a 24VDC, fits in my hand, I'd like to change its torque, forgot to mention it is a 2hp motor and I really need to change it to 1/3 hp permanently
Okay. What source are you going to use for the 24V? What is the nature of the ⅓ hp load you want to drive?
 
There is a previous thread at the very foot of this page on speed control of a DC motor. Well worth a read.
 
UMMM - can you post a picture, I am really having a hard time believing a 2HP 24V motor fits in your hand.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: billy_joule