Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to measure and control the torque of a motor?

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    Hi, I have a motor with no information, not even a label, just the connectors, I was wondering if there was a way to measure its power and if there was a way to control it without affecting it's velocity, I possess simple elements, some sensors (inductive) and a manometer, my brain is now dry, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi danielmg96. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Do the connectors hint at what voltage source you may connect the motor to?

With the motor not connected to any voltage, can you easily turn the rotor using one hand?

Can you photograph the motor, along with a box of matches for scale, and post it here. You have given no hint at whether you have something like a slot car motor, or the motor out of a washing machine.

What do you mean by controlling the motor without affecting its speed? What characteristic would you like to control?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jun 11, 2015 #3
    Well, it is a 24VDC, fits in my hand, I'd like to change its torque, forgot to mention it is a 2hp motor and I really need to change it to 1/3 hp permanently

5. Jun 12, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

Okay. What source are you going to use for the 24V? What is the nature of the ⅓ hp load you want to drive?

6. Jun 12, 2015 #5

NascentOxygen

There is a previous thread at the very foot of this page on speed control of a DC motor. Well worth a read.

7. Jun 12, 2015 #6
    UMMM - can you post a picture, I am really having a hard time believing a 2HP 24V motor fits in your hand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook